Monday, May 19, 2008

A Bestest Day

Saturday was Quilt Guild Day, and we local quilters were fortunate to meet right here in my town - no time lost for traveling! I had signed up for the class afterwards.

We started with an incredible 'snack' although it was more like a country-club brunch. The Hostess Committee outdid themselves!!! Thanks gals!

Next on the agenda was the regular business meeting, always necessary to keep a group informed and growing, as a Guild. At one point near the end of the meeting, the speaker, dear Sandy, called me up to the podium ... huh??? me ... wonder why we're doing that? I no longer have an active part in the meeting since retiring as Newsletter Editor a few months back. Was I in for a surprise!

Sandy is on the right, me on the left, receiving an appreciation quilt for the years I published the guild newsletter, a job I LOVED!
Isn't this the most delightful quilt, signed by many of the guild members!!! It WAS the bestest surprise!!! The triangles are all 3 dimensional, and look how the colors blend from bright to dark. It even has the hanging sleeve already affixed! Did I have another good day? "You betcha" as Nebraskans say!

But wait, there's more to my Bestest Day!

Our class afterwards was called Ironworks, by Jo Waldman. She's another blogger, author and very creative woman with a number of books to her credit. This time I found her ideas so clever, I'm taking some of her ideas ideas back to the guild, to start a new sub-group for Art Quilters (well, many of us don't know what that IS, but I'm wanting to start working in that direction!)

Now, our class was wonderful, new ideas, new concepts, and by the time the day was over, I was exhausted, and Elaine Adair is deliriously happy and content! Here is my Ironworks, near completion. This will be trimmed on the outside and bound with black, and quilted. One snafu is when it was discovered that our fusible width is no longer 18 inches in width, but 17 inches -- however we managed.
As if all that was not enough, when I arrived home, there was a large USPostal box on the counter. I couldn't even open it, being already so happy and content, but next morning, here is my parcel from Quilt in a Day. They had this gigantic special (thanks Nancy, for mentioning it), 10 one -yard cuts for $25.00 and there were about 8 color choices - I chose RED, and ordered that light check to go with them all. Shipping was about $11.00. I ordered it either Wednesday or Thursday, and it arrived Saturday. Every time I've ordered from Quilt in a Day, it has arrived VERY QUICKLY!

Life is good. (Please, remind me of this day when I have a downer!)

17 comments:

  1. I'll make your day even better - those were one-yard cuts - $2.50 a yard. And I still want to order some - such constraint I am showing.

    I love the variety you got!!

    AND I'm loving how your Ironworks is coming out. I'll be getting mine done one of these days. Thanks again for letting me be your guest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elaine, what a wonderful gift! Year before last when I was guild president they made a quilt top for me - many of the members made a heart and appliqued it to a muslin block and then signed it. I am still working on the hand quilting (I am very slow!) but I will always cherish it. And your red fabrics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure was a great day. How lovely to be appreciated. Cute little quilt too.
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to be appreciated and what better way than with a quilt! Your reds are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific term - "The Bestest Day" that sure paints a picture. That was a dream day or sure - I'm so glad, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt! And what a wonderful, thoughtful gift -- and if you were in charge of the newsletter for several years, you deserved it! Sounds like a perfect day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute little quilt! You sure deserved it for staying with the newsletter for so long. It was better to be in a job you loved for that long than to be dragged down by one you disliked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day, all day long.
    It's great to be appreciated, and even better when you have a beautiful little quilt to remind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your wonderful surprise.It is always nice to be recognized for your accomplishments. I served a newsletter editor for my guild for two years so I know what a job it can be. I love the signatures, how special. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The siggie quilt is gorgeous. What a wonderful group of quilters you belong to.

    I may have to check out Quilt In A Day. THose fabrics are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love that Elenore? I was at Paducah when someone bought 1500.00 worth of material from her tent sale and it was all in one giant bag. Elenore was Rosie the Riviter and she made that woman stand up and when and show it. when she goes home to her husband and he asks how much did you spend, she can say, I only bought one bag of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Elaine,
    That is one fantastic day- it couldn't happen to a nicer person.
    What a deal you got on fabric- I was very happy at Christmas when I got 5 meters ( slightly more than a yard -39 inches) for 20 dollars(our dollar is about par with yours these days) at a local quilt shop. Your reds are sure rich- it will be one luscious looking quilt that you will be able to create with it.... Life is indeed good..
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful little quilt to reward you for a big job! You deserved it! That's a great rememberance. So glad you had a good day!
    Love your ironwork! I like that idea.
    Your great (and thrifty) purchase looks wonderful. What a deal! Have fun petting your new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd say that was an excellent day! I love your colors on that Quilt in a Day!!!!

    And your Ironworks is fabulous but looks way too difficult for me to ever attempt. (I'm not a great appliquer).

    And the signature quilt! It sings! The movement of the colors in that little space is amazing. I'm going to have to check out how that was done. How big are those triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet gift from your group! It really makes one feel appreciated doesn't it? Love your red fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You deserved that sweet gift! Congratulations for being such a special person!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice thing this appreciation quilt is ~ as usual, all things I see here are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.