Wednesday, October 28, 2009
More snow, and finished Scrappy Star Struck
Ten more inches of snow - at least it's not real cold.
Below - Scrappy Star Struck - DONE. ... and this was the quilt I had almost given up! This should be a lesson to ME, and any UFOs that appear to be unsalvageable. I did NOT like this quilt - not because of the pattern -- but because of being in a pitiful, pathetic, poor-me state, and that led me to carelessness. During trimming/squaring up, some of them are trimmed OFF! However, that little one-inch border definitely perked it up. Then I auditioned at least 50 border combinations and eventually, one combo actually looked GOOD. Does this "issue" of too many small errors explain some of YOUR UFOs?. This is another wonderful pattern from Bonnie at Quiltville.
The back (above) was made of 10 1/2 inch squares, and I used a lot of my blues etc. THIS method of using old fabric DID make me feel frugal and efficient. Additionally, my brain no longer has to deal with looking at the pieces in the drawer , with guilt, "What can I do with this?" "Why did I buy this?" -- wearing myself out with self recriminations.
I quilted each of the 4 borders in a different kind of weedy, leaves, feathers, swirls. Good practice and another area for the owner to enjoy. I used a variegated blue - similar to the center. I don't like the variegated thread in the border because parts of the motif disappear and look disjointed and skipped. Lesson #8,462,729.
Now, here is the worst error and a great solution in this quilt. During my frenzy of careless sewing, too-quick careless trimming, I had a big cut-off point! So, I solved this error by drawing a "point" in the light fabric. I guarantee, it will never be seen - even I have trouble finding it, and I'm looking for it! I am showing it because we all need to remember (to each other) that an "error" is no big deal - it is STILL a great, finished quilt. It is NOT meant for a quilt show - it is a testament to loving and caring for another person - that's the important part. And it's ready to mail.
DH and I "tried it out" during yesterday's afternoon nap. It works! 8-)))