Thursday, October 15, 2009

No excuse


OK - look at your ironing board cover. A new one takes only a few minutes to whip together, and you probably have some fabric. I use pillow ticking - nice straight stripes. Previously I would staple a new cover on the board, but first I had to find the staple gun (not mine), find more staples (not mine), call for muscles (definitely not mine), pull the trigger on the gun while I mashed my 125 lbs against the board base (hah! REALLY NOT MINE - OK, I lied about the 125 lbs!!!) And I know you have cards and cards of bias tape saved from your grandmother, or great auntie or some garage sale. USE it! I DID purchase cording (save your old window blind cord).

This (below) is a stack of 56 10 1/2 inch squares for the backing of my current project. I need 72 in all. It needs to be GONE! Frankly this cutting doesn't take long and I definitely feel frugal, industrious, and amazingly relieved for clearing it out. Sunday we are expecting a warm day and I'll sweep out the garage and baste/sandwich my current Star Struck project.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

My ironing board cover is a mess, and I purchased a new cover today.

paula, the quilter said...

If you have a serger, you can serge over a cord on the edge. It tightens up beautifully.

Becky said...

I was just thinking the other day that my cover looks gross. But I was too mentally tired to even think thru the process of making a replacement.

*karendianne. said...

My cover is terrible. I am constantly ironing over a yard or two of muslin. Shabby.

SubeeSews said...

I have a homemade Big Board that a toolmaker at work made for me gatis! I do not know how I ever pressed without it.
Anyway, since it is homemade I just stapled some light cotton batting and a nice pink sheet on it. I have my OWN staple gun and staples. I just put the other half of the sheet on the board a few weeks ago after my last iron vomited all over the old one. I even take a black marker and along the sides I mark the inches. That helps when I am rough measuring things out from bolts.
XOXOXOXO Subee

Joyce said...

My ironing board and cover are quite new. I put a sheet over it to protect the actual cover. I should probably break down and make an extra cover that fits. Lazy me.

The Calico Quilter said...

Does anyone else like the reflective type material ironing board covers? You can buy pre-made covers or sometimes find the material at Hancock's. I like this kind because it seems to concentrate the heat on the fabric from both sides for a better press. It also has small perforations all over to let the steam through for regular ironing. My ironing board and cover are made by Brabantia. When I wore out the cover on my tabletop ironing board I cut down a purchased cover like this and stapled it on. And, on my big board I use those elastic straps with the garter clips on the ends to keep the ironing board cover stretched nice and tight.

The Calico Quilter said...

I forgot to mention - don't these pieced backings make you feel virtuous and thrifty? I'm imagining how much old stash I can use up this way!

julieQ said...

I have an old sheet, that I have progressively cut pieces out and recovered my ironing board, about every 3-4 months. I used the last piece this week!