Thursday, October 15, 2009

No excuse


OK - look at your ironing board cover. A new one takes only a few minutes to whip together, and you probably have some fabric. I use pillow ticking - nice straight stripes. Previously I would staple a new cover on the board, but first I had to find the staple gun (not mine), find more staples (not mine), call for muscles (definitely not mine), pull the trigger on the gun while I mashed my 125 lbs against the board base (hah! REALLY NOT MINE - OK, I lied about the 125 lbs!!!) And I know you have cards and cards of bias tape saved from your grandmother, or great auntie or some garage sale. USE it! I DID purchase cording (save your old window blind cord).

This (below) is a stack of 56 10 1/2 inch squares for the backing of my current project. I need 72 in all. It needs to be GONE! Frankly this cutting doesn't take long and I definitely feel frugal, industrious, and amazingly relieved for clearing it out. Sunday we are expecting a warm day and I'll sweep out the garage and baste/sandwich my current Star Struck project.

9 comments:

  1. My ironing board cover is a mess, and I purchased a new cover today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a serger, you can serge over a cord on the edge. It tightens up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking the other day that my cover looks gross. But I was too mentally tired to even think thru the process of making a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cover is terrible. I am constantly ironing over a yard or two of muslin. Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a homemade Big Board that a toolmaker at work made for me gatis! I do not know how I ever pressed without it.
    Anyway, since it is homemade I just stapled some light cotton batting and a nice pink sheet on it. I have my OWN staple gun and staples. I just put the other half of the sheet on the board a few weeks ago after my last iron vomited all over the old one. I even take a black marker and along the sides I mark the inches. That helps when I am rough measuring things out from bolts.
    XOXOXOXO Subee

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ironing board and cover are quite new. I put a sheet over it to protect the actual cover. I should probably break down and make an extra cover that fits. Lazy me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone else like the reflective type material ironing board covers? You can buy pre-made covers or sometimes find the material at Hancock's. I like this kind because it seems to concentrate the heat on the fabric from both sides for a better press. It also has small perforations all over to let the steam through for regular ironing. My ironing board and cover are made by Brabantia. When I wore out the cover on my tabletop ironing board I cut down a purchased cover like this and stapled it on. And, on my big board I use those elastic straps with the garter clips on the ends to keep the ironing board cover stretched nice and tight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to mention - don't these pieced backings make you feel virtuous and thrifty? I'm imagining how much old stash I can use up this way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an old sheet, that I have progressively cut pieces out and recovered my ironing board, about every 3-4 months. I used the last piece this week!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.