Sunday, October 11, 2009

Saturday Wedding in the Country

We were honored to have been invited to a much-looked-forward- "Country Western Outdoor Wedding." The bride and groom are sensible, down-to-earth young couple, and we had been looking forward to this beautiful day. However, the weather was NOT cooperating, but this snow (about 8 inches) and cold 25 degrees was entirely waaaay NOT NORMAL! But we also knew these ranchers, cowboys, bride and groom would not be put off by such a thing as cold, mud, or snow, so off we went, a drive about 80 miles from us.
We were late! We turned off the main highway to follow the "Wedding" signs. The road soon turned to mud and in some places we had to leave the road entirely, and take the field, hoping that eventually, we would find the next "Wedding" sign. Thank goodness for 4 wheel drive! The road seemed to go on forever, with NOTHING in the landscape indicating we were going in the right direction, and we had begun to think of turning back, but there was no place to turn around. We would not have been so late if it hadn't been for these slackers - ya know, ya can't just run them down and we were in THEIR field.

Finally, after slogging/sliding/skidding for 30 minutes, we saw trees and vehicles! Oh, I'm sorry we're late!

Here they are freezing (below) during the ceremony - if you look carefuly, you can see the little flower girl wrapping in a blanket. The bridesmaids must have been freezing also, but each was wearing their western boots. The minister was a hoot, and taking advantage of the cold (IMHO) by being cute, and adding a few little jokes, chit-chat - we are all wanting to grab him by the neck and say, HURRY UP! The guys were each so handsome, and had the advantage of a vest over their shirts (and maybe long johns!) The grounds had been bulldozed flat for the ceremony/chairs, and the site was selected because of the two huge trees, but unfortunately, days before the affair, a storm blew one down, making yet another must-do job to be done by the young men. But these young cowboys are tough and resiliant!

Here they are leaving - we are all hoping her beautiful dress was not ruined by the accumulating mud.

Below, the guys' horses (since we were late I don't now who they belonged to - I am guessing the groomsmen and best man and groom.)

Below, fancy boots, and the bundled up flower girl.
There's the bride's Mom - all happy. She's a first Time Mom-in-Law (oh yeah, and a quilter!, AND my friend.)

The Bride's father, looking handsome and also probably really happy he can get warm sitting on his horse.
Too-close photo (hey, they were moving fast!) of part of the team of draft horses, pulling the wagon, taking the bride and groom away to ??? -- I couldn't see ANYTHING in the distance except more snow and open spaces -- where did they go?


No close-up photos of bride and groom - that was someone else's job. We all headed back to town, along the same muddy route, for a much-needed meal and warmth at the Town Legion Hall!

I would never have made it in my little car - and I can barely recognize our vehicle, it is so covered with mud. We had a great time, this was a unique experience, and we are both pleased to have been invited. I've mentioned before in my posts, that this area in Western Nebraska is still real-cowboy, ranches, and I am thrilled to peek into this way of life, once in a while.

18 comments:

  1. This will definitely be a memorable day for all who attended. I'm not sure that I would have gone through with the outdoor ceremony, but it looks like they are a roll with the punches family.

    Wyoming has had its share of snow lately, too. Nine inches last weekend and another three this weekend. It's too early for this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa Nellie, look at that snow! Interesting wedding pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great wedding day! It will be so memorable. I know because our dear son & his bride had their wedding during one of the biggest storms ever recorded in California. The absolute best wedding photo is of the two of them huddled under a giant rain umbrella just after they said "I Do." All the posed pictures pale beside that one. And the reception turned into a wonderful party as everyone celebrated despite the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It got pretty cold at our nephew's outdoor wedding but at least there wasn't any snow. It's just not something you plan for in early Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think I would have had to move indoors if I was the bride...but I so love to be warm. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What memories that couple will have... and stories to tell their children and grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW MUCH FUN WAS THAT!!!! It looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grand memory. The only one that I know about that came even close was a wedding in Alaska where they had two other things that made memories... fireworks, and buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken for the reception. You will remember this one forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me cold just thinking about sitting through the ceremony. Not as much snow here but plenty of that cold weather.

    I love the sandhills in Nebraska, a very special place and very special people. I always think about the fresh scent of the grasses, weeds and cattle when ever I think of the sandhill pastures and it reminds me of where I grew up in central NE and the pastures nearby. AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is it about snow and weddings? It snowed 12" on the day my brother got married (well, it WAS December 31st!) and my sister-in-law's parents almost didn't get there. At least we were inside for the ceremony!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful cowboy wedding..I am sure they thought a little snow just added frosting to the ceremony...speaking of snow, the Sew Peaceful Quilt Retreat at Camp Norwesca got an extra day, we were snowed in til monday morning. extra hours of sewing. Sew Peacefully DEB}:o

    ReplyDelete
  12. fabulous post.
    What a wonderful way to start married life.... seems like they survived extra well.
    Long life and happiness to the bride and groom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for them going through with it. I'm sooo incredibly glad this was not the weather we had on Saturday for our cowboy wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll bet they NEVER planned on it snowing on their wedding day. Looks like they just went with it anyway and it is a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's great that they stuck it out and went ahead with the outdoor ceremony. And I'm sure she's thankful for the people who attended. The smiles are great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very memorable wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adair:
    Enjoyed the post. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.