Monday, January 02, 2017

The LAST of Farm Girl Vintage Blocks, and my Favorites!

I made the L A S T block, and here are some of my favorites!  I didn't want to make them - too tedious and cutesy, so saved them for last.   I am not a "cutsie" kind of gal, but I must admit ...



These are all 6 inch finished blocks.   Remember, there are also the same instructions for 12 in. blocks, plus additional suggestions and instructions for numerous other beautiful and cheerful projects.   Now, on to the sashing, then the 112 flying geese border. 
So ... if I chose just one block and made 12 of the same block  and made them in 12 in. size, they would go much faster..... mmmm  

Saturday, December 31, 2016

More, More Farm Girl Blocks, and Blizzard

Yep, still more blocks for Farm Girl Vintage - I am getting close to the suggested 48!  The whole point to this lovely project was to make a quilt that took "a long time".  I'm trying to appreciate "slow progress". 

In the meantime, here is outside our front door, Christmas Day.  I just HAD to get out of the house.  Blizzard warnings and whiteout conditions kept most folks indoors.  The fresh air felt wonderful, but in a matter of minutes, my cheeks were feeling frostbit -- wind was terrible.  I walked only half a block one way then was sorry and came back inside!  Dh decided I had lost my mind.      
 A big "thank you" to the unknown folks who cleared off the sidewalk , the first time - they are so bundled up that we hadn't a clue!  By morning, the sidewalks needed it again, and "someone else"  cleared them.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

More "Farm Girl Vintage" Blocks

I decided to make "blocks that take some time" - not just speed quilting, because my closets are full of quilts already ! 

These are all 6 inch blocks.  Some are "fiddly", but I still like them. Definitely NOT speed anything!  This is the first time I actually sat and followed all instructions.  Colors are my own choice.   Instructions are also included for 12 inch blocks, as well as various varieties of other quilts, ideas, layouts, designs in this beautiful farm-based quilting book by Lori Holt . Even if you didn't sew or quilt, her book is a visual delight!

28 blocks made - 48 needed.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Learning Humility

This was our  BOM (block of the month) for November Guild meeting, over a month ago.  Despite it being "easy",  and I have been quilting for over 35 years, and feeling a little bit "overqualified" at having to make such an "easy" 12 inch block,  it took me 4 tries to get it right!  Some of the problems were fabric selection, but others were simply putting the right pieces in the right places.  Good Grief! Where were my brains?

Finally, after the 4th try, it was done and correct !  I was so relieved to be DONE with it and snapped a photo for my blog, then happily turned it into the BOM at Guild, where a former sailing friend won them all - I was so pleased!  Today, a month later, I looked at it on my photos and ... OMGOSH!!!  Do you see the stupid error, AGAIN!!!  Yes, all the white sails are upside down.

Where were my brains on such an easy block????  My husband will never let up teasing me!  LOL  I had even proudly ( !! ) attached a return address sticker on the back.   
Every time when I think I’m doing pretty good with life and I’m busy patting myself on the back, my Creator reminds me not to get too uppity!  8-)) 

Wishing you all lovely Holidays and a Happy New Year,

Elaine Adair

Monday, November 07, 2016

Farm Girl Vintage, Three More Blocks

Farm Girl Vintage, by Lori Holt - despite the large number of pieces, they all are turning out well.  I used my revolving mat to trim off the bits and slivers from on the edges.  All have ended up to size of 6.5 raw.

That stinker on lower right has 49 pieces!  There is also a clever "trick" in that block.  Contrast is better with batting behind them - dark table doesn't show how fresh they are!  Most of the fabrics in my collection for this project are soft greens and pinks and a few yellows.  I added the turquoise to brighten it a bit, and will include the color in several blocks.

The instructions include directions for  6 inch, and 12 inch blocks, but it would not be difficult to graph many into a 9 inch block as well.   I made a few in 12 inch and decided (IMH) "waaaay too large".  

Onward and upward - steeling myself for the dreaded Voting day tomorrow ... 8-(((   This is Monday, third day of headache and I know why. 

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Vintage blocks, and Chickens with a sense of value

We get eggs from "the farm"  -- there were so pretty, and almost organized by value that I had to get a photo!  Weird? yep!  sometimes there are blue or green ones included.  8-)) 


Since I had the good fortune to grow up on a farm, I HAD to buy this book and a bunch of appropriate FQs to go along with the vintage "flavor."  There is a wide variety of quilt designs included, made from these blocks and it's spiral-bound !  Blocks shown are in either 6 or 12 in. sizes.  Mix and match or choose what you like.  The book is a delight all by itself.  So far my blocks are all 6 inches finished - a bit tedious -  but I wanted a project that took some time, instead of speed producing!  Also, instead of iron pressing each step along the way, I mostly finger pressed, and was pleased with the result.  Instructions are clear and easy to understand, but not much chain piecing!  The book and fabric are from an amazing shop half way between Delafield and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, along the Interstate - can't remember the name, when I visited family about 18 months ago.  

This is another beautiful book by Lori Holt, of Her style is fresh and bright and inviting.