Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not quite what I expected

Since I 'kinda' joined an Internet string quilting project, it was time to attack some of those leftovers under the bed - this is what I dragged out to get started.


Making one was fun, fast, and certainly graphic when finished. As is my usual style, I simply refuse to follow instructions (sorry, Mom - I'm as stubborn as ever!) and decided I would use a light side and dark side, so those were the strings I pulled. And since I figured I'd make the entire quilt myself, I didn't follow the suggestion that we use red or blue down the center. Oh mercy, and I couldn't stay consistent with the size of my center strip. (BTW, it DOES help to be consistent in that center strip color, to give the whole project some measure of continuity.)

mmm, maybe I LOVE it after all ... The turquoise and brown are so pretty together. I'm going to play with rearranging. Don't you just hate it when this happens - you can't decide it you like it or not! It looks a lot better on this BLOG than is does on my living room carpet.

If/when I get this finished, it goes to Heartland String Quilt Project.

Next time I may use softer colors. It works up so fast and it's totally EASY.

13 comments:

  1. I swear I think it helps to take photos and look at them. You DO see things you don't notice in person. Plus, I find it helps me remember placement, when I've had to spread something out on the living room floor then run back to the sewing room. Many times I've worked from a photo I took and then printed on the computer. You're on the right track, you rebel, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me of my friend who sees a quilt pattern she loves and when she makes it up she always has to change something. We joke about it.

    They are looking pretty good to me. My photo skills are such that things usually look worse! Jane Ann has a good point about taking a photo to remember placement. Aren't digital cameras wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks very good. Why follow patterns anyway. THere are enough rules in life without following them in our leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the very reason we have encouraged people to make a top. In order to have blocks that would work together we had to have some guidelines for the ones that will be sent in but half the fun is watching what people who are off working on their own are coming up with. I like the lights and darks - this will be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I likey! I think it is so graphic and arty. But then, I am a MAJOR fan of string quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't just a blast doing those string blocks. I like working on the foundation fabric like that. It's freeing!! And you can even do it while you drink wine because it doesn't matter if the lines are crooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 1/2 light, 1/2 dark effect - very striking!!! It is so much fun seeing everyone's string projects!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of string quilts, but I have to tell you, Elaine, that I LOVE this setting!! I must save this picture cause I might actually enjoy making one with a light side and a dark side. Thanks sooo much for sharing the pictures of this. If you really really decide you don't like it, I will be more than happy to provide you with my snail mail addy!!! ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suggested this dark/light combo for future quilts after we are done with the red or blue centers. I love how your blocks are coming together! Is that a dark chocolate brown in the center??? Will they all be the same center?

    Are they the standard 9.5" size as what the group is doing or did you change that also LOL The reason I ask is if I have enough lights I would like to make some but I doubt I would have enough for a whole top and could mail them to you perhaps???? ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE it! I love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your string blocks. Maybe I will do something similar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love string quilts and yours is quite stunning. Do you take your strings randomly? I tried being methodical about them and it didn't quite work random worked better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find looking at a picture than the real thing makes me look at it more objective. How did you decide what fabric to include and what fabric to not include?

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.