Monday, March 30, 2009

Goodies, and Progress on Log Cabin with Cornerstones

Look what came in the mail! From Scraps and Threadtales Several FQs of lovely spring fabric AND this little notebook, complete with colored pens for playing/drawing on the enclosed graph notebook. Is this not cool? Funny thing, at our recent Guild meeting, one of the gals had used similar pens in a Drawing Totebag, and we were asking about where to find them. Thank you, Sioban (sp?) (who also goes by the name of "Bonnie"). I was a lucky winner!

We NEED lovely spring ANYTHING!!! - tonight we went out for a drive -- bad idea -- blowing snow, cold, and icy roads, but the snow is blowing SOUTH to Kansas at about 50 MPH - only a little of it is staying here. We were lucky we didn't get the blizzard.

OK, I corrected my error on my Log Cabin. Unfortunately I corrected a block that was RIGHT, leaving me with two errors needing correcting. Dohhhh! This was a perfect example of my "Inability to see the forest for the trees!" It's not the first time I become so engrossed in ... whatever ... that I loose track of the job needing doing. OK, I'm not so perfect.

I discovered my dark photo can be "enhanced" more than once to make up for the dark room, although colors are no longer true. I am NOT going to buy one large piece of fabric for the border and am determined to use what I have -- all those browns and greens -- to make the border. There have been about 6 false starts, but I think this one will work.


See all those baskets above? They are my organization system, because this border takes a lot of pieces. Hope it works. I have 6 inches of width to cover on the last border. The inner border will be determined later.

This is my sample border block - the dark cornerstones squares should go up and down, around the quilt. I tried using lights and darks but the effect was too dramatic. We both like it better with only darks, and one's eyes will blend the different fabrics. This is going to be TEDIOUS and time consuming, but I've done one previously, with all squares which was very successful. If I set up my 'sewing system' the project will move along with some efficiency.

11 comments:

  1. Elaine,

    I must say I'm in love with this pattern and the dark cornerstones - WOW! I imagine the use of lights and darks would have been too dramatic. So this, this will be perfect. Your blocks is fantastic.

    Dig your sewing system as well. I think I'll copy that with my next detailed, fiddly project.Luv your notebook and you're so right ~ we match! And what pretty fabrics there I spy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time that I've done a complicated border that seemed to take forever, the results were worth it. I am certain this one will be worth it. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that border for a log cabin. It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This border is going to be amazing.
    We are getting more snow here. Hopefully only flurries but you never can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Log Cabin is lovely Elaine, how will you quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was well woth fixing, & it is just gorgeous. Love those border colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the pad and pen set that you recieved. How nice.

    Kelly
    http://IHaveANotion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, lucky you! I really love those colored pen pocket sets. Are you from the Gatlinburg area? This was our second trip there (third time through the Smokies) and I just love to watch the craftspeople! Gatlinburg has grown since we were last there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your idea for the border will be wonderful. But I have to ask, "Are you a glutton for punishment?" There's a whole lot of concentration ahead for you before this piece is done. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.