Saturday, April 04, 2009

Fashionable Shoveler

This is going to be my PROOF that I DO shovel snow (as DH publickly claims I do NOT!). This is the front walk going out to the street.

What the photo does not show is that it is blowing about 35-40 MPH. I do NOT own appropriate blizzard clothing (hat) that would hold up to that blowing snow, so I grabbed that fashionable chapeau to keep my head from blowing away. Shoveling in heavy wind is kinda foolish, but the fresh air felt good. Temp was about 25, and there is 8-12 inches on the ground. All this part of the state is shut down, I-80, the main Interstate across Nebraska is partially shut down - yes, large gates getting onto the Interstate are closed so you cannot get ON the Interstate. Our planned evening entertainment, provided by Carnegie Arts Council, has been cancelled. I am sure it is much worse north of us in South Dakota. This is the season when calves are born, so bad weather is very serious for the ranchers.

A kind (but unknown) neighbor, shoveled/snow-blew the walk for our entire block. 8-)) Some mornings, when it has snowed, the snow blower owners try to get out earlier than the next guys -- kinda funny to hear all the equipment firing up -- reminds me of the "Conga Line" in the movie Airport! LOL

This moisture is very much appreciated, even if inconvenient.

15 comments:

  1. Looks like you got what we had the last few days! You have a good attitude towards it anyway. Snow doesn't bother me, even in April! I love hearing about the neighbors trying to beat each other to clear the way. That is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! And here I set in ALASKA. The sun is shining, no wind, it is a comfortable 42 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember visiting my daughter in the windy city one April. I arrived to beautiful clear skys and temps in the upper 60's. The next morning it was snowing!!! I could not believe that it was snowing in April! Us Southern folk don't take kindly to that white stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow? SNOW!?! There are times when living on the Gulf coast is worth it. My doors and windows have been open for the entire week. I know, I know, I'll get mine when it's 90 with 90% humidity here....
    (I honestly do miss shoveling snow. I would move back north in a heartbeat!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been snowed in in Chicago and again in Boston. Looking at your picture, I am so glad I live in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending some warm quilty hugs your way. Oh my, I almost feel guilty about our sunshine. I think you look cute all bundled up. You need a nice warm wool hat. :-)
    {{{{Hugs}}}}
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the perfect time for quilting..not shoveling! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a blast of snow earlier this week.........will this winter ever end. Good thing my DH doesn't make me do snow....I'd have to give up cooking then and he would rather have me do that. The good thing about Spring snow.......it melts faster, so by next week it should be gone. Keep warm.

    Karen L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, much more snow up here in SD! Interstate 90 is closed clear across the state. And on the weather they said my little town is in the worst part of the storm. sigh Where is spring??

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you get snow in April what can you do but go out and enjoy it???
    I suppose spring will get here eventually. So far we haven't gotten that storm so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can see how deep it is where you have scooped - that stuff can get heavy too can't it? We missed the heavy snow here in south central Nebraska but got just a little fast wind blown rain yesterday afeternoon. There prob. was a little snow in the middle of the night as it looks like pdr. sugar along the north side of our house. Anything else that might have come down has blown to Kansas! Still have WIND, WIND, WIND.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks much like my area did yesterday. The snow can be so brutal with the wind piling it into drifts. Foolish to shovel in those conditions? No, because it breaks up the drifts and sometimes keeps them from forming.

    Our snow is practically all gone today and the sun is shining. Springtime in the West is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, BRRRRR!!! Come on down Elaine...we can eat on the verandah today and enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good lordy bee! This is harsh. I was raised in mountain snow so the only thing I can say is I'm feeling for ya, it'll feel good to get inside and get some warmth and, well I reckon I'm better off in Florida now because I don't really miss this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. April. Truly pathetic weather, like some kind of bad joke. But no one is laughing. The best we northerners can say is to hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.