Friday, April 01, 2011

Washed just fine!

Despite my worries, and some evidence of a maroon fabric bleeding when the quilting lines were spritzed, it was time to wash this big quilt, finished over 2 years ago. Size is about 86" x 104", and I only had my home- made detergent when I got the urge to wash the dang thing! Yes, I know I should use Orvus and with all the horses around here, you'd think I'd have some but no, no Orvus, just plain old homemade laundry detergent.

I had absolutely NO problems washing it, on cool, and even the original bleeding problem disappeared. Drying it (dryer) left it so nice and crinkly - Whew - one less thing to worry about.

Looking at the photo, I see a wrong block, in the lower right on the inside of the border. Funny! Even a wrong block looks kinda interesting.

This is called Pinwheels and 4-Patches, or similar. Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com had one, Better Homes and Gardens had one, Mary Johnson (Heartstrings) made one, and I found one in one of my books, so I don't know who should get the credit. Anyway, if you look closely, the quilt is made in rows, pinwheels and 4 patches (or 16 patches) then the next row the pinwheels go the opposite direction as well as the 4-patches. The 4 patches, have a light in one row, upper left, and the next row is dark in upper left. Can't get much easier, or simpler. Do you see the bright blue? I was hesitant about using it, but when finished, that bright blue, which "doesn't go", gives the quilt spark.

16 comments:

  1. I remember when you made this quilt and I still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a gorgeous quilt. So glad it survived the wash so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a washed and dried quilt right out of the dryer. It looks so quilty. Looking forward to binding my Texas Braid soon. Just finished the machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful! I love the blue in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love a pretty scrap quilt and this one is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! I think the blue adds spark also. Great work!


    Bari

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good finish. I am happy for you that you had no bleeding and previous washed out. I like to wash every quilt after it is quilted so it gets that crinkly look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Like so many quilt patterns, there are lots of variations. I don't worry about crediting someone unless I'm using their pattern or am especially inspired by their quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the fabric didn't run. I had a blue do that on me, even after it had been pre-washed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blue! It is a great quilt and great use of scraps! Always nice when the fabric doesn't run! Do you ever use that dye catcher? I always throw that in just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved this pattern!
    This fits in your washer????? You must have one of those huge ones!! Amazing quilting. Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, that blue is "just right"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't tell me that you made this 2 years ago? Seems like yesterday! Glad that it washed just fine, phew! I think home-made laundry soap is every bit as gentle as Orvis. Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a lot of 4 patches but the checked border is the perfect ending for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.