Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Fooling Around - Six Strips

I HAD to try this idea, seen on YouTube from Missouri Star.  Their sample was in girly pinks and yellows, with a lot of white in them.  

Start with strips - I used six,  1.5 inch strips - I'll bet you can use various widths for this  (that's another project!).    My strata was even crooked! 
 I sewed 6, 1.5 inch strips together into a strata, pressed up or down, then cut the strata to make a  6 1/2 inch square.  I think any size square will do, but decide on the length of your strata for the best use of fabric.  I got 6, 6 1/2 inch squares to my strata. 

Face two squares together, one vertical, the other horizontal.  Then, sew around the outside 4 sides of the 2 squares, with quarter inch seam.  Then make two (2) diagonal cuts, corner to corner.  Press open, and sew together in whatever pattern you like.  I really liked that spool-like pattern.  I was VERY casual, and didn't pay attention to the seams matching, but it would be better to be careful and exact, if you start with all same size strips.  And I think it would be wise to choose a pallette of similar scraps, where you had enough for the entire project.  Be sure you use lights and darks for contrast.
Not bad for 10 minutes of fooling around!

13 comments:

  1. I just love seeing the Missouri Star tutorial videos! Great to see this in your choice of fabric colors too! I'll have to get busy with making this one!! Thanks for showing your version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a QOV top. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that video too, and also think it would make great QOV quilts....or 30s fabrics quilts, or Christmas quilts, or batiks/hand dyes mix. I guess it would make all kinds of interesting quilts. Just changing the size of the strips could really change the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how clever. Must try. What a wonderful way to use up the scrap box of strips that don't really match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen this anywhere, but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY - thanks so much. I have been in a fit making strip sets - without any idea why - I just couldn't stand my scrap strings any longer... I have a giant stack of them... can't wait to try this technique... thanks. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, great idea for the 1.5" strip bin (which is the smallest size I save) Thanks! Your spools look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. Now I must get fooling around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this and I'm putting it on my project list for 2012. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way your block turned out - rather a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! They look like you slaved over them, so nice-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now look at you! Love this block. Isn't it fun to try something new?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat-O! Something else for me to play with. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.