Thursday, May 24, 2018

"Hidden Wells" Technique in Borders

Mary Ellen Hopkins seems to be one of the originators of this clever design - many of us remember her quirky style.  I remembered her cleverness, but not her instructions.  Her book on Hidden Wells is seldom seen now but there are many others on the Internet displaying this technique but I could not find what I needed for a small border.  With determination and excitement, and a LOT of leftover strips, I jumped in and was practically in a frenzy (just ask DH!) trying to calculate what was required.  By the time I finished, being totally mentally exhausted, and after a LOT of remeasuring, I DID remember "starch", "staystitching" and "trim to correct size."  Voila! - a decent and interesting border, using much of my leftovers.  The border changed direction to repeat what was happening in the quilt. 

The border is not yet sewn to the quilt, but the light dotted strip is now providing stability - live and learn.   I think I like it.  3 more sides to go.



5 comments:

  1. Yikes, those pictures explain the frenzy! Again, you are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like a LOT of work, but it is an eye-catching pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely! The colors are so pretty. Can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting border and just perfect for the rest of the quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.