Sunday, July 22, 2007

ANOTHER Off-Kilter Log Cabin, and a Great Book

ANOTHER off-kilter, scrappy log cabin - it started with a 'just gotta sew' day, in a futile effort to use up scraps. It became MUCH larger than I expected (72 x 92 inches), but I was wanting to try out that border to 'see what happens!' I kind of like it! And must admit the idea came from a book by Margaret Miller. This one is now on the waiting list for quilting, in my closet. When I started, I had not planned a border, and then had to be creative in the center of each border. Hey, it all adds to the "hmmm, it's interesting" factor!

I publish my quilt guild newsletter and from time to time add my own suggestions or ideas, or blocks. I printed 4 of these border blocks in the newsletter hoping someone would gain from the suggestion but ended up using it myself. Yeah, enthusiasm often gets me overloaded! This simple border block can be so creative, depending on how it's used, and the values. You might want to give it a try. This particular block is 8 inches and consists of only 2 half square triangles and 2 four patches. I was careful to use the same light background, the diagonals in the four patches were always mediums and lights and the half square triangles were always darks and lights. I think a person could float one of the edge darks into the quilt for a REALLY clever border!

This book (below) was a pleasant impulsive purchase from my LQS ($22.95). What I liked at first was that it is small (less than 6 x 8, but fat), but the "1000 Great Quilt Designs" didn't hurt either. Amazingly, it's from Readers Digest and is a WEALTH of ideas.


It is written by a quilter/graphic artist and I am overloaded with all her ideas. This is NOT a details book about how to quilt, although there is good info included. Also, you don't have to be a quilter to appreciate all the designs. If you are searching for an idea, you WILL find one here. I tend not to read the parts about enlarging, transfering, etc., but they are included. If I had anything negative to say, it's that it is printed small, and the lettering is not very bold, but then I also need new glasses, so give that some consideration if your vision needs improving. (I tried to find if there is a Large Print version but was not successful.) Even so, the drawings are wonderful. IMHO, the reader would need some quilting knowledge other than just this book.

Happy quilting from Nebraska, where it's been 100 degrees for the last few days and for at least another week!

14 comments:

  1. Great quilt. I had seen this book a while back on another blog. Now you certainly have me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've checked out this book from the library on several occasions. So stimulating! [Funny... I never thought about buying it on Amazon or such; I assumed it was one of those one-time offerings. Silly me.]

    Love the quilt, too!

    Sheila in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new quilt! I have checked this book out from my library too and found it full of ideas. There are many that would be nice as applique if you are into that (which I'm not).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being forced to get creative is the best thing -- and it works! Great border.

    Haven't heard of that book, so thanks so much for posting about it. Will have to check it out.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those off center log cabins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you continue to inspire. I think I must do an off centre log cabin (well I do have enough scraps). Am sourcing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love these off kilter log cabins. I've also seen that book and wondered if it would be worth buying . Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the scrap quilt. It turned out wonderful. I'm going to have to hunt for that book. It looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt and the border....fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt looks great. Yes, I agree about the quilt designs book. Heaps of ideas, our club has it in their library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt....great borders. You're really making me want to start one of these...I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is gorgeous. The border really enhances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those off-kilters, look great! congrats, on the quilt show, that was very well-deserved! Lol Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try www.half.com for the book

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.