Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Quilt Show Entry - Star in the Forest


This is my second entry which is also Diamonds, although it's purely coincidental that it actually matches the Quilt Show Theme.

It IS square - just held crooked. It's about 62 inches by 62 inches. The orange paper label says "This corner is the bottom."

I've been working on this for about 6 months, and am extremely happy with it. It is paper pieced, and I used many of my forest-y scraps. It is loosely based on many bicycle trips I made in the Smoky Mountains, years ago. I did the machine quilting on my DSM. Each of the 8 star segments is machine quilted in a different pattern, kinda sketchy in style. There are vines, mushrooms, and grasses quilted free-form in the side diamonds, many deer in the border, and a variety of oak leaves quilted in the corner borders. I used a variegated thread for the star and the deer, and a solid dark thread for the border leaves. The deer show up very well. There is a little bear hidden in among small diamonds. The backing is a busy fern-y melon color and hides my machine quilting where needed.

The quilt show is this weekend, and is a Viewers Choice. There are some amazing quilters in this area!

23 comments:

  1. Wow, Elaine, you've been busy. This turned out so beautiful. Are there prizes in your quilt show? When and where is the show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Elaine - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts. I really like this one. I certainly hope you bring home a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Elaine! This is really nice! The little critters and all the leaves and things are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What talent!!!The quilting, the fabric or the piecing of the blocks.....they're all winners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazingly intricate quilt. It's gorgeous. I hope you get first prize with the Viewer's Choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, Elaine, I'm blown away by BOTH of these star quilts!!! Just totally awesome!! I love your quilting...so much thought and time put into both of them! They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I wish I could see both of these star quilts in person to get a really good look at your wonderful quilting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see how your quilts do. They are both fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with nellie... wish I could see it in real life. They are fantastic. You are fantiastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderfully stunning quilt! Great work - good luck with the judges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As many have said before me........WOW.......what a beautiful quilt!!! I just love the mix of colors as well as the pattern.....stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your diamond quilts are amazing! I love the buttons and embellishments on your challenge quilt! As for cleaning -- yeah, I need to do some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both quilts are gorgeous, but this one has my vote. The colours and the movement realy make this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elaine, it is gorgeous! I wish I could see it in person. It's a sure winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very impressive Elaine. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY! This is amazing! Not one but two gorgeous quilts. You do fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, they are stunning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fingers crossed for you ! They are both absolutely stunning !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow -- amazing quilt! It's beautiful overall, and I clicked to enlarge the photo to look more closely. The piecing is beautiful and I totally love the quilting in the border. Just awesome.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning! I love everything about this quilt and can't believe you got it done so quickly - seems like just yesterday you were piecing the segments.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG You are talking to me and you make quilts like this??? I am humbled!! It is simply outstanding!!!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.