Monday, July 16, 2007

Quilt Show is Over


I didn't come home empty handed and was very happy to receive a Second Place! (Full photo is in my previous post.) It takes courage to enter our quilts, and yes, we all compete against ourselves. Color, subject matter, technique, skills are all so subjective. Mostly, you have to have something that has impact and eye appeal - at least that's what I've noticed. Skills were not particularly noticed, because the public is not aware of how we do what we do. We stand quietly and listen to what folks say. A friend said she can tell which quilts are mine. That was a lovely compliment. I was in a good mood driving home.

Here is First Place (below) in the same category as mine above - an amazing Sunbonnet Sue through the Seasons, by Ruth. She does incredible work, and Sunbonnet Sue is forever popular. She also said she wouldn't do another one! "It was a lot of work." The quilt show was a Viewer's Choice. It was 98 degrees outside and not too much cooler inside, but we still had a great time.


Our Theme was "Diamonds." Here is the First Place in the Challenge Category. She used diamonds in her background. Sharon is an amazing quilter and comes from a family of quilters. She gets together with Mom and sisters for a yearly "Quilt-a-thon" and our quilt guild is blessed to see their new creations. This creation is totally encrusted with beads - gorgeous. She said she took a class by beading expert Nancy Eha. This is very small and simply stunning. No other entry (especially mine!) came close.

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations...well deserved. Sounds like you all had a great time, as Quilters usually do. It seems 'applique' attracts a lot of Viewers' Choice awards. Well done Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. It looks like you were in good company. I have never entered a competition. If I ever enter one it would be my chicken quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulatons. It sounds like you had a great time. I have never entered a competition, & dont think I ever would. But I admire people who do, because I love to see all the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Elaine! Your quilt is stunning!! I'm surprised it didn't take 'first place', it is detailed and intricate. Great job, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, your placing was well deserved - it was a stunning quilt and I'll bet it looks even more spectacular in 'real life' as opposed to a photograph, no wonder the viewers voted for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations....I still like your design better - it appeals to my "linear" sense and has clean, sharp cut lines. You are gutsy to enter a show.......and did well for it.....quilt on....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! And this may be heresy, but I don't like Sunbonnet Sue. Never have. I would have voted yours for viewer's choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought our quilt was just beautiful! Congrats on the ribbon. I'm with everyone else though..I would've picked yours!!
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratualtions on the ribbon - your quilt is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I love the colors in your quilt. The turtle on the Challenge quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! You have a great attitude. I found it so stressful to enter in a quilt show. I don't think I'll do it again. I really think you should have won though...your quilt was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your well-deserved ribbon!!! You do fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your ribbon....I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your ribbon. Great work on the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Elaine. I think your quilt was fantastic and well deserving of a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, you sure were in company!! Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Elaine, your prize was well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those quilts are all beautiful, and yours fits right along with them! Great job, and congratulations all around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! Loved looking through all the photos. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh well done .... I just knew you would get a ribbon for your lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.