Saturday, May 31, 2014

Stars DONE, and Hugs and Kisses DONE


This one is DONE - here's the back, shown previously.  We are having the deck painted, again, so I am also showing slow painting progress for my own use.  The quilt design is originally from Quiltville.com and Bonnie Hunter calls it Maverick Stars.  I've made MANY of her designs - thank you Bonnie!
Swirls go fast and are not difficult for quilting on a DSM.  I sew/quilt on a Janome MC 6500.  LOVE that machine!
 I DO enjoy seeing my finished quilts on the deck rail.  8-)))  Pretty against the deck primer.
Below is Hugs and Kisses, a Linus quilt - so easy!!!  The design would also be perfectly wonderful in blues and purples, or greens and blues or very scrappy.  I was not sure how to handle the giganto  rick-rack.  I sewed the rick-rack down the center.  I tried NOT to sew down the points but leaving them loose, seemed kinda sloppy - couldn't have it both ways so they are sewed down.  Each border corner miraculously "turned" perfectly!  

I had a LOT of this backing for Hugs and Kisses, so I made a pillowcase to be included.  Dig that YELLOW!  --no more pink.  Those are silly "cat" cartoons on the back.

Overall quilting was big and similar to "dwirling" - this went fast.  The finished quilt is about 51" x 51".  The quilting thread is a variegated light pastel, that I've used for MANY quilts when there are a lot of colors.

Every unit is made the same - similar to snowballs.  This would also be a an excellent totally scrappy quilt if arranged differently and the blocks can be any size.  It's simply squares and quick corners.  I saved the cutoff corners for .. for ... uhhh... something.  8-))



6 comments:

  1. Both of them are perfect and I love the quilting! I'm going to have to make the patchwork backings in the future, as I am running out of large pieces of fabric and yet have lots of odd size pieces, so that would be a good way to use up more. I love Bonnie's quilts also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on two great finishes!
    I especially love those stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic as usual. Are you keeping the wonky stars for yourself? Love everything about both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine, your Maverick Stars is fantastic, love the bright colors and the quilting. Also the Pink Linus quilt is beautiful. You did great. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure enjoy your blog. And I love the Maverick Stars quilt....front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine, I love the close-up pictures of your quilting on those fabulous quilts. My favorite is the Maverick Stars with those lovely swirls, good job!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.