A few of the blocks were getting too dark, due to the dark centers of the "O" block so I started using more tans, mustards and rusts. Then I had a few pinks that didn't seem to go - I took off the too-pink corners and replaced with darker strips, but left a few in, just for orneriness! Rows are 7 x 9, so I'm getting there. DH will be happy when the "design floor" is usable again. I'm guessing I'll border it in something very light, like the blocks.
(Tip: If a person used a light center in the "x" blocks, this entire quilt would be much lighter. )
Below are 4 traditional blocks I started with, trying to figure what I wanted, but that center beige was not attractive with the clear pinks and blues. The block scrappiness was OK, not what I was planning, so these didn't make the grade. Sometimes we quilters have to play a while before we figure out what we want. ( hmmm - I could applique a different color to cover up the beige and work them into a pillow ... )
Note - if you have not made this design, be aware that where the corners meet is where you get a LOT of visual design! The pineapple quilt above ended up with spool-like motifs, due to the alternate "O" block.