Sunday, July 10, 2016

A good day at the Quilt Show

I put 3 quilts in the Oregon Trails Quilt Show hoping one would get some recognition. 

This was my Mother's quilt a Grandmother's Flower Garden, she made at age 21, living in Chicago in 1936-37 while awaiting her first child, my sister Kristin.  Many of the charming fabrics were probably given to her by a sister-in-law, my Aunt Kate, who had 2 little girls at the time and lived nearby.  This is the quilt that laid unused for many, many years on a wood shelf ("save it for good!") , and when it came to me, as the only quilter, we discovered with horror that the wood acids had eaten clear through the center fold lines.  I kept it for another 15 years before having courage to repair it, only to discover that the repair s were not nearly as difficult as I had imagined.  This is a Second Place.  The white sheet on the bottom is a printed story of the quilt history.  I'll sew it on the back now as a label.


This is "Cowboy Up", a large quilt, a version of Tumalo Trails.  I added that border and learned new methods to machine quilt on the wide light blue border.  The dark blue is a plaid, a used man's shirt given to me by a friend.  It worked perfectly with the numerous 9 patches that I had made casually, with no purpose, "using up some little strips of fabric".  This is Second Place.

This is a recent finish that I call Pineapple Spools, added to the show at the last minute only as something of interest.  I was astonished to see it was given a First Place.  (That purple on the bottom of the picture is a back from another quilt hanging behind it. )

A good day in Western Nebraska, with 104 degree heat outside! 

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations Elaine. Three for three! Wow! Excellent! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! You cleaned up! Well done! And it's no wonder as you entered some gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, good for you!! Congrats on 3 for 3 ribbons!
    Isn't it funny how often the "afterthought" is the one that gets the greatest claim to fame? : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Wonderful quilts. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Those judges knew a good thing --3 good things-- when they them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! The 3 quilts are gorgeous!
    Hugs from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! What a sweep! Beautiful quilts and well worth the honour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! I'm not surprised though... these two that you made are amazing, and the one that you repaired shows that quilting is in your DNA. So glad to see this post. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!! All are beautiful quilts. I am so glad you were able to repair your heirloom quilt. Now what are you going to do with all those ribbons?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially like that Cowboys Up!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.