Saturday, December 23, 2006

Home Again, Home Again


I am back home in snowy Nebraska after 2 weeks in warm Florida. The flight home was only 2 days before that paralyzing blizzard that cancelled all flights in and out of Denver. I am counting my blessings!

We endured part of that storm, with 45 mph winds and whiteout conditions, but not as much snow – about 10 inches overall. Some of it drifted high but a lot of it blew east towards Iowa! I discovered it’s not easy to take a photo in white-out conditions! But here is part of our back yard, after wind had abated, and after DH struggled with the snow blower. The snow is piled up like cake icing!

I had forgotten these 2 Christmas Pinwheels I had made for my sister and Mother some years ago. Many of you may have made this pattern before. It’s not difficult, but you have to keep your wits about you, getting each color in the right place. I made one for me, and only after displaying it for 2 years, did I notice one of the pinwheels had a wrong color on the point, so I had to fuse the right color in the right place. (I’m not showing you THAT one!)



This is a quilt I made some years ago, one of my favorites, Birds-in-the-Air. It was my first effort on an appliqued border, and as we all know, we learn a few things along the way. It is hand quilted. The border was made up of scrappy string-pieced leaves. I then made a leaf-shaped template, and cut out a larger than necessary leaf, then faced it with a lightweight fusible interfacing, and sewed with a very small stitch around the leaf shape, and trimmed close to the stitches (a la Eleanor Burns method). The interfacing is slit, then the leaf is turned right-side out, finger pressed, and then fused to the background. Later, I blanket-stitched all the leaves in place with invisible thread. The border could use more quilting, but that’s as far as I went. I love the colors, mostly red, purple, black, all rich, color saturated. One of the fabrics saturated right through to the backing, unfortunately – “ooops, did I prewash this?”




I am wishing all you quilt-y gals a Merry Christmas, Good Health, Happy Hearts, Great Quilting, and Happy New Year for 2007!

8 comments:

  1. You have a lot more snow than we do. We had some but most of it has melted already. I hope it doesn't snow now because we want to go to our daughter's for Christmas and I don'twant to drive in a storm.
    Your wall hangings and quilt are very nice. Good thing there is always another one to put to use what we learn on the first ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the Birds in the Air quilt...is that one from the Thimbleberries book? Every time I look at that book I fantasize about making that quilt! LOL And your runners are wonderful! Merriest of Christmases to you and yours, and wishes for a wonderful, quilty New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're certainly having a White Christmas there. Can't believe you fused on your finished quilt - think of "mistakes" as humility blocks, something that makes that quilt yours. Be accepting. Beautiful Birds in Air. Shout Color Catchers work fabulously on fabric that bleeds, even on finished quilts. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That applique is terrific -- the leaves are pieced? Wowsa - what a great treatment.
    Merry Christmas - I hope you have a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt and lovely table runners. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine, All of your Christmas quilts are beautiful and festive. I hope you had a good Christmas and continue to have a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year.

    I have a quilt where I didn't notice my piecing error for a while. I am leaving it that way. I figure if it took me that long to find it, hopefully it means that others won't either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, can't get my mind around that snow!! I've missed you and your words of wisdom while you have been away. I'm pleased you are home safe in all that weather. Love the table runners, they are the same style as my friend Chris' that i posted after our Christmas break-up.-On my list of quilts to make in o7. LOL Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your pinwheel tablerunners, I even think I have that pattern ---somewhere. Your Birds in the Air quilt is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.