Monday, June 17, 2019

5th Quilt from Box of Scraps


DONE!  Yes, I'm still finishing that "box of scraps".  Our Guild is preparing for our Quilt Show and suddenly we needed a few more quilts.  This was close to completed, so I got off my you-know-what and finished it in several hours.  (Why do we wait so long?)  



It's not large, and looks a lot like a previous quilt.  This one is about 53" x 63".  I deliberately chose that busy backing.    



This project taught me about using a formula for cutting variable width floating borders.  Thank you Gyleen Fitzgerald!

I also learned (second effort) about making a faux flange.  My strips were 1 5/8 and 1 3/8 in., narrower than most of the instructions and next time I'll reduce them more, to 1 1/2 in. and 1 1/4 inches.  The binding is sewn to the back, then machine stitched to the front.  

If this is new to you, hints.  Be very neat and precise.  Quilt the top all the way to the edge, then trim exactly.  Be exact with those binding strips and don't stretch them when pressing.  When sewing down the binding,  I wanted to use my regular quarter inch foot as it's more precise than my walking foot - that is why I quilted to the edge and chose very narrow strips.  The last seam is on the front, with Smoke, invisible thread, very slowly and carefully.  Those stitches on front are extremely difficult to see.  Yeahhhhh!  


The busy backing was intentional because despite precision efforts, stitches were going to show where I didn't want them.  It's OK and it's DONE!

I have 4 quilts in the show, with no expectations for ribbons but ya always hope, don't ya?  Putting quilts in the Quilt Show takes effort, doesn't it?  Our show is local, with ribbons awarded by visitor ballots. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, so cute! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work, as usual! Would you share your floating border formula with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! How many more quilts do you think you'll get out of that box?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your darling quilt. You are so very precise...I love to see your work. RIBBON worthy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful scrap creation from your magical, bottomless box.
    I've never tried a flange. They look great, but I am so tired of fussing by the time I get to the binding. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt and a perfect border.... you are amazing !

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.