Monday, January 20, 2020

Small projects, basket strings quilts, health issues

Sue made this little quilt (above) and asked me to send it to the collection point, Hugs and Stitches.   I looked at it and LOVED it immediately only to hear that it was ME who started it long ago and then in my fit of cleaning out UFOs, she picked it up and finished it!  Yeahhhh, that's what friends are for!  Sue has been a fresh, excited, participating addition to our quilting community.   We are heartbroken to see her move but understand that moving near family is of primary importance.

Below is a silly kids quilt for same donation as the above quilt, made from a box of scraps from Joan (NC).  Mostly, I was playing and still don't have the right balance or ????  We continue to learn, don't we?   

I saw Bonnie Hunter's Basket Weave Strings  (free pattern on her blog, quiltville.com,) and made #6 quilt from "that box of scraps"given to me by Pat's Creative Stitchery, our LQS.  Carol liked the idea and made the center quilt, and then Sue (named above) made the one on the right!

 We showed all 3 at one time at January Guild for Show and Tell.  That's me on left of above photo.  For whatever reason, we each set the blocks on point.  I sewed my blocks to paper, but don't remember what method the others used.  The suggestion was to alternate lights and darks on each block, but all the blocks are interesting, and the BEST at using scraps.


My blog title includes says "health issues".  Half of November and most of December were punctuated by my husband's health issues.  There were no holidays for us.  Between 911, Ambulance, hospital and nursing home care, he's finally back home.  Months ago, Ms. Victoria of http://victoria-carroll-parkhill.blogspot.com/ made a blog post suggesting "take more photos of your loved ones" .  I'm thankful I had followed her advice, as it originally appeared DH may not get back home.   The crisis was averted for now, medical procedures administered and he's home.  Positive factors are that the hospital and nursing home are both within blocks of my home, and helpful friends and neighbors stepped in during frantic running back and forth during those terrible weeks.  Negative factors were icy and snowy weather, snowblowing, power outages that meant that garage door didn't open, phone and cell service nil for brief times, and no computer, all adding to mayhem and fears.
More learning to absorb.  👎👎

My suggestion:  When faced with medical crisis, if possible take a friend to take notes, to help listen or suggest, correct what one remembers, and mostly, to hold your hand.  At one point, having heard what sounded like the worst possible news, I went kinda bonkers, and I believe the hospital was considering calling for Security -- for usually-perfectly-proper me! 

6 comments:

  1. glad to hear things are stable for now...thankful for good medical care close by...no substitute for it at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for you and your darling’s health problems. Hug and love! Your scrap quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I hold your hand? I know what this is like. Hubby is well, but it seems every day brings a new challenge or surprise. My sister died early Friday morning. I am joyful (she knew without a doubt where she was going) and deeply sad at the same time. Makes no sense, but that is how it is. Hubby also needed an ambulance this month. We are getting to that age where the challenges will increase and yet we also have increased resources. I'm thankful for quilting - it is a calm place for me and I'm sure for you too. Love and prayers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another way to calm any future mayhem is to create a three ring binder will as many lists and notes and so forth for your health history and hospitalizations/insurances/providers as possible. That way when the ambulance is needed, you can pull out that book knowing the information they'll need is already in one place, including copies of your current insurance cards (thus saving your already over-taxed brain cells to focus on breathing and praying). Glad to hear he is home and that you have good neighbors. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you and quiltdivajulie for your advice about a medical crisis. Recently my dear niece had a medical crisis with hospitalization but I was most worried about the stress her mom was going through. It is so upsetting to get scary news about your precious loved one. My niece certainly didn’t need her only caregiver to flip out and possibly need hospitalization at the same time. They are 2500 miles away and I couldn’t be there. Thank goodness they kept me in close contact, my sister made it through and therefore so did my niece. My role was to interface with the rest of the family who all have the tendency to flip out and maybe be not supportive. That cut out massive numbers of texts and calls. It would have been better for someone to be there to take notes and get snacks and things like that. I love the binder idea. I will tell my sister too. Elaine, I’m so glad that you and your honey made it through this crisis. You deserve a big congratulations! Also I love your basket weave quilts. I hope to make one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fun to see the three string quilts side-by-side.
    I am glad the medical issues have settled for now. Going through so much with my Mom lately, I understand a lot of what you have talked about. Vic did give good advice. And I appreciate suggestions made by your readers, too.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.