Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bright Kaleidoscope Quilt

Hah - is this bright or is this bright? I used various fabrics already in my stash, but purchased the white with stars and the border black with dots.

Note - there is NO BLENDING OF VALUES IN THIS EXAMPLE.

This next option (below) has a very pink block in the center that I didn't like very much, at least for a boy. It's going to be an 'extra'. (Funny -- it doesn't look bad in this photo.)

And here is my sloppy inner and border audition, with a lime green and light turquoise corner option. I'm liking it a LOT. You will see the kaleidoscope effect (I hope) when the medium value corners are sewn together.)

While the maker can mix up the wedges from block to block, I kept all 8 wedges together from one strip set. (Notice how I avoided getting confused again with the term strata/stratum!) 8-)

I used 6-7 strips in each set, making the first and last strips wider -- 2 1/2 inches. This gives you some leeway in how you place your ruler. The strip in the middle of your strip set frequently appears circular and stands out.

And I DO have enough wedges left over (you get 9 wedges from each WOF strip set) to actually make another row, including the unloved too-pink block. However, this is for a little guy and he doesn't need it larger. Size is approx. 62" x 62".

13 comments:

  1. Funtastic!

    You're right. The pink doesn't look bad at all but you're also right - not appropriate for a boy. But gosh how neat. And Elaine, I really love the turquoise & lime green in the corner border area. Smashing dahling, simply smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright, yes. Good, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink is just a color, just like blue is just a color! Go ahead and put the pink one in for a boy, its only one stripe (call it light red if you have to!). This quilt design is fun, fun, fun and energetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine,
    I would love to take your class @ guild next weekend but I'm a bridesmaid to my sister in Tacoma, so will miss it. Love your Kaleidoscope creations! sharon a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is a bright, happy quilt! I LOVE it! (Even the pink-ish block looks good. I agree with AnnieO - leave it in.) Your corner color choices are great, as are your border choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is sooooo beautiful.

    I've been thinking of hexagon quilt too lately... too scared to take the plunge.

    (my son is called Luca)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my kind of quilt - lots of color and no blending. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is great. I wouldn't take the pink block out. It's a great zinger in with all the bright and cheery colors. Boy or girl doesn't really matter. It's certainly not feminine looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that lime green option a lot. This is a fun fun quilt! Will serve any child very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember always take a picture, the problems show up best that way..and the good things also..I like the pink>>remember..cowboys were pink shirts to remind others of breast cancer..tuff in pink.>
    do some research..in middle east pink is a male color. Take care..love the pattern>>eager to try it. hugs sew peacefully DEB}:o

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lime green looks great with the black and white borders. I think I need to take "bright" lessons from you. I just can't jump off the cliff and do anything really bright.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.