Saturday, September 26, 2009

Birthday Tree and DONE K. Quilt for Luca


I had a birthday recently, and in addition to a nice gift certificate to a LQS, TOGETHER, we bought a small leafed Linden Tree to celebrate. This area is not kind to trees but we've noticed Linden Trees do well. I wanted to stand next to the tree each year to see how quickly or slowly it will grow.

Sentimental here ... we recently had the front porch railing fabricated and installed that you see behind me, and we put HEARTS in the railing! Is that cute or is that cute for two old fogies? The very talented iron man whipped them up along with the railing.

If you can stand any more Kaleidoscope photos ... here is the last border, in black. I wore myself out, thinking what would be suitable, and finally, with impatience, just started drawing/sewing lines, and this is how it turned out (Control + brings it up larger)-- mostly triangles (a few boxes which would have been great also) and I am very pleased! It is one continuous set of STRAIGHT lines, variegated bright thread - no curves - from start to finish. I will ditch stitch in blue thread between the blue and black border. Below is the back - I didn't have enough of anything, but definitely wanted to use the Bears. And I had a limited amount of another that would be kinda similar, but due to inability to count to 49 ( !!!!! ) ran out of that also, and had to find yet a third dotty fabric that is OK. These squares are cut at 10 1/2 inches and I like this method a LOT. A person could go through a lot of stash and just cut squares for backings.

Yes, there are the extra 4 blocks at the bottom I added to make 49.
DONE - and all quilted in swirls, all going clockwise. I really HATE to give this one away.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the kaleidoscope quilt. It is gorgeous! Nice Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Luca will be very, very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt continues to look better and better. I have done the 10" blocks on the back, twice, and have found that it makes a great back, or second quilt. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool quilt! I never get tired of these and I'd love to find the time to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! I still love it! In fact, now I remember what kind of ruler I was going to look for at the quilt shop I recently visited, and couldn't remember while I was there. The kaleidoscope ruler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I hope your trees grows well for your. Your kaleidoscope is wonderful...I got the ruler!! Yippee, so I can make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a fabulous quilt Elaine- I love your kaleidoscope quilts- Luca is a very fortunate person.
    Your tree is lovely- I hope you had a great birthday - may you have many more years of good health and prosperity.
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Boy, there are a lot of late summer birthdays.

    Your kaleidoscope quilts are great and tempt me to try the method someday. It is hard to give away quilts sometimes, isn't it! We spend so much time and energy in creating, but the reward is to know how much love is sewn in!

    I like the hearts and the tree! I planted a "stick" of a Golden Rain tree in my yard a number of years ago and it is about 15-20 feet high now. Someday I hope it will shade the front of the house, including my sewing room's window, from afternoon sun. It is deciduous and my husband wanted to take the "stick" out the first winter, it looked so pitiful. But I prevailed and now enjoy it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your birthday was fabulous. What a great idea to plant a tree. I'm going to tell hubby to get me a tree instead of roses from now on. Thank you.
    The K is fabulous!!! I so wish I had time to start one. Soon I say, soon. I love the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky Luca, it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday late! We have loads of linden trees here in Germany. There's a famous street in central Berlin called Under the Lindens--v romantic. I love you hearts in the ironwork and the kaleidescope quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.