Friday, June 24, 2011

Buckeye Beauty, Masculine Quilting


Despite having more pressing issues, I couldn't resist quilting this scrappy Buckeye Beauty.  My thread is a quiet beige/tan, and this design is called Innies and Outies, from http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/.  If you want to learn some techniques for quilting on your domestic sewing machine, her DVDs are THE ticket!  I spent some time on YouTube today and she also has 3-4 free sample videos, each one over 6-7 minutes long.  Try it, you might like it. 

This pattern tends to look good on guy quilts - like a topographic maps.  This is similar to Dwirling, but smaller in scale, as I don't have a lot of room for hand movement on my machine.  It DOES use a lot of thread. 

The fabrics are from many shirts I've made over the past 20 years, current shirts for husband, shirts from brothers, maybe even my Dad who passed away in the '70s, and some Mission Shirts, ala Bonnie Hunter/quiltville.com. 

We are under yet another severe storm warning.  Usually every time it rains/storms, we get hail with it, and gardens take a beating!  I only have hostas, that have made it intact, so far anyway.  The floods are not affecting us in our town, but are a problem farther east and south of us near the Platte River.

6 comments:

  1. Love those plaids! The quilting is perfect for them.

    I sure you got the storm that howled through here last night at 68 - 75 miles an hour. The streets are strewn with fallen branches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Wonderful man quilting! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I'll have to try the inies & outies sometime. BTW, I have started a quilt made of shirts, thanks to you and Bonnie Hunter. I have collected a stack of them from garage sales and brought some pieces with me on our trip to make Ohio stars. I'll have to wait until I get home to finish it. I might make it a donation quilt to the intensive care unit of Children's hospital. They need quilts for teen-age boys. Most people make small quilts because they are faster (including me), but I'm going to try to make a couple bigger ones. I made one bigger strip quilt so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are not experiencing any of the flooding! I know how frustrating and destructive hail can be but not as bad as the flooding!!

    I'm telling you I LOVE this quilt and I CAN NOT wait to see it finished and in it's full glory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for easing my mind about you not being flooded; so glad you are okay!
    Vic in NH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, love that quilting! Look very topographical and man-friendly :)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.