Wednesday, March 14, 2018

NQR - Cruise Control works intermittently

My car has under 40,000 miles on it, and in good shape.  However, my Cruise Control was intermittently not working reliably - it just would not turn ON.  Most of my miles are in town, not highway, but occasionally I need the Cruise Control.  Then, it just stopped working - no amount of coaxing would encourage it to behave. 

I Googled, "2012 Chrysler, Cruise Control works intermittently" and found the usual, TMI, but eventually settled on one forum where I learned the part needed was $49.00 and labor would be about $375.00.  Oh Great - another expense.  I read various suggestions, all waaay too technical , and one possible "troll" who suggested smart-alecky-like, "if all else fails you can always honk the horn".  Oh good grief, one of THOSE people who just likes to make trouble and smart remarks to see his name in print.  I put that repair on that back burner until I could research a dealer.  .

Shortly afterwards, I was driving in the country and remembered the smart-aleck who suggested "if all else fails you can always honk the horn."  Yeah right -  just to prove how stupid that suggestion was, I honked the horn, pressed Cruise Control and voila, it came back to life!  Yep, it worked perfectly well after the "honk technique".  Feeling sure it was just a fluke, I relayed my story to a technical friend guy who did not believe me, despite his auto-credentials.  The Cruise Control worked just fine for another 2 months, then started getting "intermittent" again.  This time I used the "honk the horn" technique with assurance, and yes, one honk, it turned on and behaved perfectly well again. 

I would like to apologize to the "smart aleck" for doubting his accurate advice. 

In the back of my mind, I'm remembering my previous Chrysler was traded in because Cruise Control no longer worked - mmmm  I DO wonder ...

5 comments:

  1. Is that a crack-up, or what? I was going to suggest getting your brakes checked. That is what we have done in the past. Hugs! Pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I had cruise control issues but mine turned out being a bad tire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The knee bone is connected to the arm bone...??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story! :)
    Honestly, I rarely use cruise control, because it never occurs to me. How silly is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so funny. Reminds me of a time my daughter called me, saying she could not get the steering wheel to unlock. I remembered that happening to me once, and told her to step on the brake. Wa-la! The steering wheel unlocked. Love those little mind blowing technical hints :-)

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.