Friday, March 27, 2020

Meanderings from Widow Elaine Adair - NQR

This is kinda sad, but honest and the kind of things a new widow must deal with.  If you haven't visited previously, I am a new widow - life had changed dramatically for me - I'm trying my best.

First, "Apply for Widow's Benefits for SS" if that pertains to you.  I thought I was doing that by notifying SS, but no, you have to APPLY!  Separate action from just notifying SS - lots of questions to answer.  This has delayed his checks - the virus is delaying more. 

This past week I have been clearing out our shared Studio.  Oh my gosh, what a mess - so much stuff, so much heartache, no much of everything.  We quilters know we have stuff, I didn't realize a retired man, a man who loved making model wood boats, would have as much or MORE than this quilting wife.  Everything I found of his was an emotional challenge - lots of boo-hooing.  His grandson was here to help move out heavier things.  We sold/ gave away unneeded/unloved furniture.  The Studio is now empty except for my big fold out sewing desktable.   All else is piled somewhere in other now-cluttered rooms - overwhelming. 

DH was a smoker and you never realize how dingy the walls are until you start cleaning.  That is where I am -- I am washing walls, doable half a wall per day because I am no spring chicken, and then, just to peek to see if the ceiling needed washing, I tried a small part.  I am in process of washing the ceiling, above the molding, on the right.  The left part of the corner is where the cleaner oversprayed.  These are coved ceilings, there is no clear corner where the wall meets the ceiling.  Today I am hollering at DH for his smoking habits!!!!   He always said OSAAT, One Step At A Time, which is do-able but slow going.

I have yet to find a good way to wash the ceiling.  That sponge on the pole is only moderately successful, and as a Senior woman of 77, looking UP results in visual/dizzy issues.  I'm using a wall washing product, and only do a little at a time.  Like everyone else in this virus-infected country, I have to do it by myself.  A friend insisted I START with the ceiling - now I know why.
OK, advice.  Maintain access to funds - more than you think.  It takes time to get thru it all, a lot of physical work and chances are you aren't functiong well, and bills keep coming.  We were beneficiaries on each other's assets - this saves unnecessary delays - didn't need a will.  Get your cleaning and sorting and purging done years before you HAVE to!  This man kept so many records, newspapers, clippings, articles, old legal documents, STUFF, back to the 60s.  I know they bring back memories, but holy smoke!!  This is a LOT of work for the surviving spouse!!!  We quilters have our own stuff and if you leave it, someone, well intentioned, will have no choice but to throw it out, simply because there is not time nor energy to savor any of it.  The one thing I really LOVED finding, was his professional resume that I had never seen during our 24 years together.   He was an excellent manager!   I was amazed at all he'd accomplished and at the level he worked and THAT was something I wished we'd talked about.  He even was the subject of a CNN special during drought years!

Also, take photos, both in health and in illness.  For a long while, I was reviewing photos in his young, handsome days, a man full of health and vigor.  Then I finally realized, he was not that way any more.  I'm glad I took photos of him more recently, worn out, ill and hollow-eyed - the photos helped me accept his death a little.

Thank you for your comments - I don't want to make you sad, just realistic.  It's important to know what WILL be in store for all of us, and I bet you've never heard some of these meanderings, so perhaps my "advice" will help someone.

16 comments:

  1. This was probably difficult for you to right all this, but know that I appreciate it. We (hubby and I) are still young (only 56 both) but we never know when one will leave. You gave great advice and I am glad to know all this before hand. Thank you, Elaine. Stay strong. God bless. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I hear ya! I was widowed at 58 so maybe that made things a tad easier? Not sure but... And that smoked up house really hit me. My sister smoked in her house and went to CA when her daughter was pregnant. She rented her house out the 4 yrs she was gone and those people smoked like chimneys. When she was ready to come home and had the renters move out, my nephew went in first and let us know how bad it was. I was more inclined to let her kids (adults) take care of it but DH wanted to work on the nasty walls. We washed like 3-4 times (while I was cursing the smokers) and got it all cleaned up then put some stuff on the walls (sealant, block, can't remember the name) before painting. I told my sister I'd KILL her if she ever smoked in that house again!!! It's a MESS. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MIL smoked a lot. When she moved from her first house here in TN (larger) to her second (much smaller), she saw first hand how her smoking had discolored her walls (remove a switch plate if you don't think it's true). We had to entirely repaint her old house before it could be sold - what a chore. She smoked only in the garage of her second house - never indoors. She learned her lesson (but she never stopped smoking). Thank you for sharing your reality - especially now when so many others might find themselves in your shoes unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for you. It is hard, and yes we have a lot of stuff. We had to go through my in-laws house when they passed. and it was pretty daunting. Take care and do things slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for updating. I have been wondering how you are doing. I am “only” 57, but I know someone younger than me died today. I have never given much thought to the possessions left behind when someone passes away. I hope you are doing things at your own pace. You are making a whole different life. I hope it is a good one for you. So many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who is a heavy smoker. When I go in her home it is so apparent to me how dingy the walls and furnishings have become, but I think she is oblivious to it. I know that must be a huge chore to face. Wish I could come help you clean it up.
    You are giving sage advice to people who haven't yet lost their companion. Dad set me up as his and Mom's power of attorney many years before he died because Mom refused to talk about his eventual demise and he knew she wouldn't know what to do. For many years I worked with him on his finances and did his taxes. So when Dad passed I had the list of all of the people and organizations to contact and was able to continue managing her resources, and have since handled all of Mom's money and legal matters. It can be overwhelming to be hit with all of that all at once!
    You are in my prayers, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my prayers too. My hubby keeps things that should be tossed and this 'distancing' we are practicing started off well -- he was tossing lots of it. I imagine trying to do what you are doing and cry for you. I pray you will know the presence of the Lord who promises never to leave us and know that when others cannot be there, He is. Oh, how good of you to share what you are feeling. Many of us are not there yet, but we will be someday. Virtual hugs fall short but sending you love and support {{{Elaine}}}.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise advice. 9 years later I still have things of DHs I haven’t let go. I have been working on my own stuff as I don’t want to burden my kids. It’s tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a daunting job ahead of you. I’m a little younger than you are but recently found out I have a heart problem. So little by little I am cleaning out, organizing and purging. With this pandemic, my husband has plenty of time on his hands, no sports to watch. So I have him going thru all the VHS tapes , videos we took of our children. He’s putting them all onto DVD’s for each .
    Then we tackle the big storage room, lots of memories but lots of junk too. At least when we’re avle to go out again and when one of us passes, our children won’t have too much to thro out.
    Keep positive, you will eventually get thru this and start to enjoy your memories again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is HUGS! I like your idea of doing things in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Elaine, yes, it's very hard. I'm glad you're working in small batches. I've found that's the best way to tackle big chores like my yard work. Do take care of yourself and post any time you need a listening ear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to vent and this is a blogging is one way to do it. I am almost your same age and DH is a little older. I have way more stuff than he does. It's hard for e to get rid of things, but one never knows. Thanks for the advice. Blessings upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss. I am at the year and a half mark. Hugs passed October 2018. Lots of ups and downs. Remember one day at a time hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elaine, reading your blog lets us all travel a little of this journey. We can't help wash those walls but we know how hard you are working to keep going. Take time to look out the window for signs of spring and catch a little sunshine. One block at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elaine, I appreciate your remarks on my blog. It’s not easy for sure. Your husband has been gone a little over a month longer than mine, but I’m sure that it hasn’t gotten a lot easier yet. I have read about the 7 stages of grief and I can see some of it in myself, times when I am just so sad and sometimes a little mad. My son-in-law did a slide presentation with 2 of my grandsons speaking, it’s about 15 minutes and it has helped a lot. It also makes me happy and sad, but usually it brings back happy memories. As you say, mostly younger pictures, but I have a few older ones, too. I’m fortunate, I share my home with my daughter and her husband, but it’s set up almost like a duplex, so we have our privacy, but can be there for each other, too.
    It sounds like you had a big job, but I hope it’s mostly done now. My father was a heavy cigar smoker and he moved from a place that he’d been in a couple of years. They had hung a large metal ship figure on the wall, and when they took it down, there was a perfect imprint of it still on the wall. If I recall, it is also a little sticky and smeary.
    Again, thank you for the encouragement, and if I can be of any help to you, maybe we can be a support to each other

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Elaine, I have been following your blog on and off for years. First - prayers for your recent ER encounter and subsequent heart surgery. I do wish you a complete recovery. Of interest to me on your blog is your post about being a sidow. My husband passed away on July 31 after 10 1/2 weeks of hospitalization at various facilities. We "celebrated" our 60th anniversary in July; that he was probably not aware of. Anyway, I am now dealing with the aftermath --grief and financial and home care things. Trying to navigate... your hint that Social Security does not automatically check to see if you qualify for the widow bump-up or death benefit was good. But it will take up to the end of the year for them to process..... How come government can do other things quickly, but things due the citizen take forever??? I know you do not know the answer. It is a lonely road; we have two sons, one in North Carolina and one in Georgia. (and I live in New York state) I envision few visits--although one was here with me the first week after Ed's passing; and the other here the second week. What especially struck me was "leaving the light on in case husband walks thru the door". Your quilting is truly an inspiration and I look forward to checking your blog more often now. Sincerely, Eleanor Seltzer

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.