Thursday, April 08, 2021

Learning Every Day, and Interesting Fabric

 I learned something new - With repeated difficulty getting a new blade on this seldom-used rotary cutter I discovered the little black washer has a squarish center going in one direction and roundish going the other way - ya gotta pay attention.  OK, now it will work - I thought.  

It was still so awkward - then  I discovered the cutter can be used left or right handed and I had the blade loaded on the left handed side!  Who knew?    

My current project is a sampler, making 2 of each sister block, but separated, with one colorway on one side, the other colorway on the other.  Book is called "Sister Sampler Quilts".  A friend and I decided to do something together, in town, to feel a bit more socialable after being cooped up.

I already had a pretty FQ bundle of something - had never opened it, said Free Spirit on the ribbon, so I grabbed that to make blocks, not prepared for some of the fabric included in the bundle.  Ya jes' can't use some of these fabrics for any ole project.  This piece was the right overall color but look when I opened it up.  Is this not amazing?  


Happy Spring Everyone!

  

8 comments:

  1. LOL Sometimes I have to look up online to see how to put my rotary cutter back together. I finally printed out a sheet and put it in a binder with other gadget instructions.
    Yes, you have to be selective with some fabrics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a Brandon Mably fabric called You Can Can, part of the Kaffe Fassett collective. I got a piece in a bundle too and it is in the "what am I going to do with this?" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that fabric is so funny. What to do with it? Our buddy Wanda would simply cut it up and let the design fall wherever it does. Not sure what I would do but am interested to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the questionable fabric. I won a wonderful modern christmas collection -- except for the martini glasses. I have no problem with them unless I was planning a quilt for a charity! Still haven't put them to use. On rotary cutters -- I've had mine for so long I have no idea when I got them. I can remember having them since the early 80's. I recently decided I needed one of the cool new colors. Surprise, surprise. It was so much easier to change the blade. I was glad I opted for a new one. However, I still use the old ones on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often have the hit and miss system of changing a rotary blade... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I do it again...

    Such funny fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend once made is a friend for ever. Is your email and snail mail still the same.
    love and hugs from downunder sheila (aubirdwoman)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sMC above - Letter en route! 8-))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. sMC - Earlier response went elsewhere - YES, e-mail same address.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.