Tuesday, March 23, 2021

A second "Crumby" tote bag

 



I'm still trying to find the perfect inserted bottom - perhaps another trip to Hobby Lobby or Home Depot.   I did purchase  a "Yard Sale" sign on a stick, for one dollar, for and that was good enuf for 2 totes bottoms, but still could use something more sturdy.  The tote is squared off nicely and will hold a lot of something.  There is little planning to the pieced panel.  I just kept moving bits around until it looked kinda balanced.  This one had the panel, batting, backing and a lining.  The quilting is casual  straight-line sewing with a walking foot.  

It's fun to try new things!  



6 comments:

  1. An old ratty cutting mat can be cut down with scissors to fit as a bottom of a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There’s a plastic canvas you can make things like coasters from with yarn/cross stitch. It’s pretty sturdy. Good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just mentioned, but I have used a piece of plastic canvas and made an envelope of fabric (sewn shut) to put in the bottom of the bag. Just set it in there. If it is fabric-covered, it won’t show up much. Just check occasionally for things that slid under it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a really sturdy bag bottom, try using these Artist Canvas boards:
    https://www.michaels.com/canvas-panel-valuepk-by-artists-loft-necessities/M10226520.html?dwvar_M10226520_count=5

    They're thick so you'll need a sharp X-acto knife to cut them to size and it may take a few passes to cut through. I put one in the bottom of the bag I made to carry my Featherweight which works well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great looking bag. And it appears that you have received some good suggestions for a sturdy bottom (makes me laugh a little just typing those words). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the orphan-block tote design! For the bottom -- try a campaign sign. I think you'll find that that corrugated plastic is heavier than the dollar-store yard sale sign you used. April 6 is election day in Illinois (school boards, library boards, municipal boards, etc.) so campaign signs are all over the place here.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.