Sunday, July 18, 2021

Before and After

 This was my "ruined" block yesterday, (previous post) carefully removed from the quilt top. sad day, and even worse, there were 6-8 strips of the same fabric in other parts of my quilt top.  I couldn't take the chance of "will it come out after I finish the quilting?"  I figured total removal was my only option.  Happily, this happened! 



HAPPY, HAPPY DAYYYYYY!  Here it is today, after excellent advice from Chantal, and a few other kind quilters.


Just a generous squirt of "regular" Dawn, in a bowl of warm water, some sloshing around and then sitting for approx. 15 minutes.  VOILA - no trace.  I will replace this block with another, already started, but no longer am afraid of the other 6-8 strips of that same maroon fabric already used in blocks of the top.  Happy Day!!!!!!!!!!!   What a relief!  I would guess "copious amounts of water" and plenty of Dawn would be needed if washing the entire quilt."

6 comments:

  1. Whoo Whoo!! I am happy dancing with you! It is such a relief when you see the red is gone. I remember like it was yesterday. It doesn't take much detergent though to get a good result. I'm afraid if you put too much, bubbles will come out of your machine, lol. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! So glad it worked...that Chantal is a smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dawn is amazing stuff... cheap and readily available too. So glad to see the results, and to know this tip. It could be needed for many of us! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the post about using Dawn. I got the impression is was filling one’s tub with water with Dawn (the hotter the better) and rinsing, then repeating until a fabric didn’t bleed. I am curious why you are not replacing the other maroon fabrics. Did I miss something? Great job, and it is a lovely design and pattern, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done my favourite Quilting Pal. I also learnt that when washing try to lightly spin dry or at least dry flat. I learnt this when I washed my sons basketball singlets - white with red numbers uggg . The quilting is looing good. Email will be coming, I have spent all this time trying to get my blog up and running lol. keep safe and dont worry (and its best to keep off any mediction (if possible)) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice that you got advice on repair. I wonder what the formula is in Dawn that produces those results…. I can’t get Dawn where I live but there are loads of other brands if I just experimented a bit.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.