Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Increasing size of my finished quilt

 


This favorite quilt was finished several years ago, from Quiltville, from one of Bonnie Hunter's books, -- she called her pattern Day Break.  Despite looking fiddly and painful to deal with little pieces, the blocks went together quickly, and the little bits were perfectly aligned.  It has sentimental emotions attached, was one of the quilts made from the "box of scraps" my LQS gave me, and I had hand quilted the border during a lovely jaunt DH and I took Roosevelt National Park - I really love it, called it "Slim Pickins".  But it was just too small to cover the blankets on a full size bed .  Note the borders in the above photo -- 3 sides have an additional border added - I'm working on the 4th.  I removed the binding, then dug into scraps and decided to add 6 inches to each side, sort of Quilt as you Go method.  It's not perfect on the back but it will do, now measuring about 84" x 96".  Yes, the little border squares are one inch.  Again, I pulled out the big table hidden behind the sofa, to help while working on it.  Having that table INSIDE the house was one of my best ideas.  

5 comments:

  1. Kudos to you. Increasing the size of a quilt AFTER it has been quilted and bound is no simple task. But the fact that this will make a favorite quilt more useable to you, makes the effort very worthwhile. It is a beautiful scrap creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! It will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan and it looks so good...as all your creations do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Janet O on this one. That's a huge task to tackle! Kudos to you, dear. It is a wonderful quilt though and I completely understand why it would be a favourite of yours. It would be of mine too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning quilt! Your borders always add so much to your quilts... I should stop taking the shortcut of solid borders and follow your example!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.