Sunday, November 12, 2006

Helpful Toys

I purchased this little iron – on a whim – and I think I like it. It is extremely small -- I’ve seen others that may be larger. This one cost $10.00, and is called a Craft Iron, from Ben Franklin. I press on a small ironing board, and the larger iron takes up so much room. Additionally, ALL my ‘regular’ irons seem to konk out in a year or so anyway, so I’m not devoted to a larger iron. This little one is dry only, and doesn’t get REALLY hot, but the current project is paper piecing, and it’s just right. The cord tends to get in the way, so I have to hold the iron in a certain way. Also, the weight of the cord sometimes wants to tilt it over on it’s side. It will be OK for classes also. There is no OFF - I control ON and OFF power, along with my sewing light, with a power cord. Sewing lights seem to konk out at the switch, so by using the power cord, the light fixture lasts longer.

The second item has been wonderful to help imprint machine quilting patterns in my brain. I was happy to read that Karen McTavish, a long-arm machine quilter, also suggests this type of toy. This one is called a Doodle Pro - great for kids in the car, but I have this next to my TV watching chair for practice during commercials. To erase, you slide the bar across. You can see my leaf/vine practice. About $15.00

I am paper piecing - something I’ve not done for years - and am amazed at the efficiency with my newer machine using the auto-thread cutter and knee lifter. When I bought my machine, my only interest was increasing the bed space – nary a thought to those extra features prior to purchase. Just a suggestion if you have not been using these features, or don’t have them yet, give them serious consideration.

I’ll post my paper piecing soon - it’s pretty gorgeous!

8 comments:

  1. I just got a smaller iron and I love it. It is not quite as small as yours, but much lighter than the one I was using. I use a BIG dry erase board I found at a thrift store for my doodling. Too hard to take to soccer practice tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well isn't that the cutest thing! Actually both things but the iron in particular. I'm like you and have to replace the iron about every year or so. I like the one I have now but it could be a tad hotter and it does not always steam like I think it should either when pressing yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen such a cute little iron. Good idea! Thanks for the tip about using doodle board for getting a quilting pattern ingrained in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that iron. I got one last year at our quilt show. I haven't used it yet, but when I bought it I figured it was worth the 8.00 for cute factor even if I never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that iron at JoAnns and almost got it but didn't just because I didn't know how much it was and then got distracted by some fabric. I'm thinking of buying it for the daughter of my son's girlfriend who loves crafts.She is only 9 so it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a small iron like that and it perfect for pressing small seams at the quilting table! What fun toys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen one here bit it looks great. I, too, go through an iron a year so it may be a good plan. Thanks for the rag quilt instructions. T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, sorry wrong person, that's what I get for switching between blogs! Finn gave me the rag rugs instructions-but I'm sure you would have if you could have......!T

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.