Saturday, December 04, 2010

Christmas Tree Skirt - Done

Instead of a binding around the center circle, I chose to add a fused facing. After panicking for a few hours, I realized this is just like the facings I used to put around collars, back in the days of garment sewing. I dug out my 'professional' compass and marked the line, then remarked it bigger, then smaller! LOL Then I sewed - I seem to remember the term "staystitching"-- the line in preparation for cutting out the circle.

(Oh crud - I added these photos using a new method and they don't leave me room under the photos for text. I know you can figure it out but it's a little confusing.)


I opted to make a slit in the skirt, as opposed to a center hole only, but that DID leave a very acute angle to bind, something I've not done before. However, a bit of fiddling, and some hand holding by fellow quilters, sent me in the right direction which ended up with satisfactory, pointy points.




Done, and ready to mail - with optional ties. It's about 54 inches on widest points. No pattern, I just made it up, starting with a basic star block. Any blocks with a single diagonal line can be made log cabin style. That left it square, and I wanted to have 8 sides, so I added the 4 Log Cabin sides (with triangles in center along seam line.)

21 comments:

The Quilting Pirate said...

Oh My GOSH Elaine!! It turned out GORGEOUS!! You did a fab job on the binding corners!

You should be very proud of yourself!!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow Elaine, it is beautiful!

Lois said...

I have followed your process in making tree skirt and the finished project is just lovely. What a great job. Thank you for sharing all the process. Love Lois

Randi said...

Very pretty!

LC said...

Nicely done, Elaine. The recipient will love it, I'm sure!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous!

Anne Ida said...

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

Vivian said...

Bravo! And the slit worked out just fine. They will love it!

Angie said...

It's perfect!! You did an excellent job!! :)

Lindah said...

Elaine, that is so pretty. Great job. You're a designer and innovator. And it's in the mail. The recipient is bound to be pleased. Pour a cuppa, take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back!

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

That turned out so nice, you did a great job! If I didn't already have a quilted tree skirt I'd try to con you into making one for me. LOL

Helen in the UK said...

Beautifully done! But then I read you have to mail it away ... I didn't realise it was for someone else I thought you got to keep and enjoy this one :)

Purple Pam said...

A beautiful finish for a beautiful tree skirt. Congratulations on persevering all the way to the end. Great job!

Mama Spark said...

You did a great job. This turned out so beautifully!!

Lynn said...

That sure turned out nice and will look so good under your tree. Love the quilting - it shows up so well on the last photo.

Rose Marie said...

Wow .. the before and after quilting is amazing!!

SewCalGal said...

Wow. This is truly the best Christmas Tree skirt I have ever seen. Beautiful design, yummy colors, excellent quilting. Love, love it. Inspirational.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Donna said...

It is just beautiful! You did a great job designing, piecing and quilting it!

suz said...

Elaine this is absolutely amazing. The recipient of this quilt is VERY lucky! (You should think about doing a pattern!)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE it!

Shasta said...

This looks great. I would have been afraid to cut through the quilt. I'm glad you are braver than me!