Saturday, December 18, 2010

29 Pineapple Blocks on the floor, and a great book


My bunch of pineapple blocks is growing - I still wonder how many I should make in order to make ... uhhh ... something.

Now, the reason for the basket (one of 4 nested baskets, made by the Amish Troyer family in Iowa) on the quilt is .... ta ta ...! It is empty!!! That was just ONE place I had been hoarding scraps - digging down, it went back over a year, but they are gone. Notice the area where the basket meets the handle - another kind of log cabin configuration.

Trimming the pineapple blocks means that most of the scraps actually get cut OFF and finally go into the trash - NO, I am not resurrecting any of them.

Twenty-nine pineapple blocks on the floor,
Twenty-nine pineapple blocks,
Light and dark strips, piece some more,
Thirty-one pineapple blocks on the floor!

Thanks Vivian for that little ditty that I plan to change each few days! (yes, I have 2 more on my machine, not shown, for those bloggers who actually count! LOL )

As my quilting skills have improved, I AM purchasing fewer and fewer books and had passed this one up many times - yawn, "same ole, same ole" I said to myself, but one day, I bit, only to discover it's a great find. There are NO patterns, only log cabin AND ....PINEAPPLE BLOCKS IN MANY VARIETIES AND CONFIGURATIONS!!! 4 SIDED, 5 SIDED, 6, AND 8 SIDED -- numerous examples of turning the blocks producing amazing new patterns and settings. It's been out many years, so you may be able to find it discounted. This was just one more inspirational incentive to get started with MY pineapple blocks.

16 comments:

  1. I so like your pineapple blocks. It's a neat pattern, and so many pieces. It's cool to see you finished off your strips, truly, mine seem to just keep growing -!
    Good work, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just going to be fabulous Elaine! A pineapple quilt has been on my list for 'someday'! Seeing yours AND working/sorting through my strips and scraps today inspires me to see about the book you shared.
    I love your quilt AND seeing an empty scrap bin...yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I noticed is that your basket matches your pineapple blocks! Quilters tend to buy EVERYTHING in their favorite colors. They look amazing! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for your information: I stopped at 60 Pineapple blocks. Well, actually 64. I will use the other 4 for corner squares. My Pineapples have 45 pieces in them and are 5". They really use teeny tiny pieces!
    Love that basket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pineapples!! And the basket too...I have two blocks done...but I am going to make some tracks next time I am off work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look awesome. I have always loved the pineapple blocks even before I sewed a stitch on a quilt. It is one of the patterns that made me want a quilt of my own. I have several now, but still no pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving these Elaine, they are looking great! So ok, what do you need: another of lap quilt, bed quilt, a "just because I want to display it" quilt?

    You look like you are having fun with them, maybe just keep going until they make you say "uncle"! Any extras would make great corner blocks in another quilt.

    And 'ya know I'm going to be humming that all day now.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to town on those blocks! They look great! Merry Christmas Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little by little you are getting more done. They look so good and will make a great quilt what ever size it ends up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pineapple blocks look fabulous!
    Cheers,
    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on emptying a scrap basket into this quilt! It looks terrific.

    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I just love your pineapple blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I once made a pillow of 4 pineapples, Each one took me 1 hour. Oh my~you have that many! That is persistance! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blocks and another interesting book to go on my Amazon wishlist!! Happy xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pineapple blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pineapple blocks are really coming along. Cute little ditty, too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.