Thursday, April 09, 2020

Garlic Knots - MQ'ing, DSM

Basting is my least favorite part of quiltmaking, but years ago, I bought 2 folding picnic tables and have used them frequently.  I even have risers to use when standing up.  I've also decided I have better success using both spray and pins.  This pattern came from Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville - I KNEW she would have the pesky pressing details worked out.  The only constant is the background and the little purple in the cross center.  This went faster than I expected.  It's about 70" x 80".  Someone called my border a "zipper" design.  

 Oh great - My backing was pieced horizontally, but I basted it on vertically and "missed" a few inches of backing at the bottom.  I even marked the batting with Upper Right, Lower Left.  Shoulda marked the backing.   Duhhhhh!  Fortunately, I have extra, but still, it's exasperating, isn't it? 

This is my simple quilting design for a busy, allover pattern.  My thread is Metler Silk Finish, variegated pastels, very light, on top and bottom.  Schmetz has a new "Chrome" top stitching needle/14,  - so far, so good. 
You can barely see the thread on the back.
 Thread is barely visible on the front as well - just texture.  This is quilted on my DSM.
Curtains for my newly reorganized Studio - Hobby Lobby is closed - they always had good choices for simple cafe curtains but they are closed for who-knows-how-long and I found a plaid fabric on sale at Keepsake Quilting - I made a giant leap of faith and I ordered this, wanting to get this curtain job D O N E!  My little bright studio needs some warmth - I have no idea how large this plaid will be but hey, it was on sale!  Can't wait to see what arrives!  If it's terrible for curtains, it still will be a great quilt backing.

6 comments:

  1. Love your quilting design. I am a newbie at quilting on my DSM so I don't know what to sew most of the time. I need to try this pattern. I think I can manage that. Love the plaid fabric. Hope it is what you are expecting. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also try whittles.com for curtain fabric. They ship speedily.

    Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not crazy about basting, either, Elaine. And I still crawl around on the floor to do mine. When will I learn?
    Pretty quilting design. Looks very nice.
    I can't believe you can do a quilt that size on your DSM. I struggled with a baby quilt when I was learning, and then switched to a sit-down longarm.
    I like that plaid. I have plaid curtains in my sewing room, too. I hope when it arrives it is something that will work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is so cheerful! And of course, your quilting is perfect. My local quilt shop is closed and I told DH that it is an essential business, so it should be open!! I have had to order things 3 different times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Zippered Garlic Knots is beautiful! I hate basting too and have had that same problem with getting the size (and shape) of backing and batting right! It would help if I could spread everything out but alas no. It has to be scrunched on a small floor space and pulled flat every few inches as I baste. No room to set up tables even!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.