Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Newish techniques, old favorite things

Garlic Knots - I'm practicing ruler work in the border - tedious, but kinda cool as well.  I lost my way, here and there.  Seams under the ruler sometimes helped, sometimes hindered.  I need to improve on sharper corners, and I also wish I had left more extra batting and backing on the outside of the border, to grip.  Two more sides to do, then just binding and it will be D O N E!  

I added a strip of sandpaper to the back of my ruler.   It might not be needed by others but helped me hold onto the fabric.  No technique is perfect - I had to make other adjustments when using this ruler, such as changing the large screw on the foot, to a smaller screw which allowed the ruler to slide under.  Also, it's still difficult to use this ruler behind the foot but must change to a  thinner ruler,  or else modify my approach to the quilting.  All do-able.  Live and learn.


I found this treasure among DH's stuff -- almost 100 years old.  

The pictures are kinda Amish in nature - something about being neat and tidy, use each day to the fullest, etc.  The beer box holds CDs, and the current one is called Ansel Adams - a very calming  instrumental.  The pencil sharpener?  Occasionally the top of the player needs some "weight" to play the CDs.  Yep, that's my technology solution - better than a brick! 



Wow, those white walls are glaring!  I need more stuff on the walls.  No curtain fabric has arrived yet. 

2 comments:

  1. Ruler work! Looking good. I'm impressed. I tried it once and was put off. I probably gave up too soon. I'm trying to settle now on a design for scraps. Nothing is jumping out at me at present. Not having a current piecing project makes me feel irritable. Got to get that machine going. I like your white walls and the arrangement against them. Just about everything looks nice against white walls. Very few restraints in arrangement as there is with colored walls. Speaking of restrictions, I trust you are doing well with the current stay at home restrictions. Stay safe. Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Garlic Knots quilting with a ruler is way beyond my skill level but you've made it look wonderful. Congratulations on another fine quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.