Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Crumbs, TATW, Bargello, Puzzle Done

Pretty amazing what can be done with scraps and crumbs.  Triangles were sewn in the back corners and I inserted a paintstick for a hanging dowel.  I think the recipient liked it.  I LOVE the crookedyness.  


Having fun with Bargello/Trip Around the World, I didn't  understand how a TATW would actually be organized, but in the meantime, during my learning time, these were was a LOT of fun.  I made 4 of each style, and kept the "order" the same for each block - that is 2 strips of darks, one light, one contrast and 2 lights.   Right now, I have 9 sets of 4 blocks and will likely make 3 more sets of 4, using the same order so it ends up rectangular.  Perhaps I'll mix all of these blocks just to see what happens visually.  It's funny, the blocks that I really didn't care for are the ones that ended up looking most interesting.  A few of them laid out 2 one way, and 2 the other.  These are made tube style, Bonnie Hunter method.  


Only too late I realized a "true" TATW would be a whole 'nuther plan.  That plan, yet to happen, is not something done as quickly as these blocks.  Below is a picture taken from Lissa Alexander's book, which I eventually purchased, "Sisterhood of Scraps", more like what I had in mind at first.  The  method in her book takes more organization and a different method of construction - live and learn. 

Here is a jigsaw puzzle finally FINISHED this morning!  Yeaaaaaaaa!  thank you Alice!!!   This lived on my table since before Christmas and was unexpectedly helpful with my frazzled concentration after my husband's passing.   I don't know if that would work for everyone, but it sure kept my brain together, one piece at a time.  One blogger told me she not only made up the same puzzle, but then she made the actual quilt which was beautifully done and quilted.  Wow - who knows what inspires us?  






5 comments:

  1. I love your Welcome banner, Elaine. Congrats on that beautiful finish. I too am making a quilt that I should have planned a little better. The corners where the 4 blocks meet make a secondary design that would had been prettier had I planned the colours placement better. Live and learn is right. No one has all the answers. Love the puzzle; love the quilt too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So agree with your comments on puzzle building. It takes my mind off everything else, Covid, politic, craziness in the world, and that quilt that keeps bugging me with its complexities. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love crumbs, so I love your creative welcome sign!! What pretty trips around the world...I would like to go on one, for real, when the pandemic is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun, whimsical "Welcome".
    I made Bonnie's TATW. I think yours looks great.
    That is a beautiful puzzle! After my Dad passed 4 years ago, I think my Mom always had a puzzle going for about the next 2-3 years. As soon as one was finished, another swooped in and took its place.
    I like the pattern in the puzzle quilt, too. Any plans to make one yourself? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Trip Around the World quilt will be beautiful but isn't it interesting that there are so many different ways to make similar quilts. Find the technique you like best and then teach it to someone else!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.