Thursday, July 01, 2010

Wake up !!! the Roofers are here!


At 7:00 am, roofers showed up - this truck and 3 other pickups, full of stuff and men. We were both in our jammies, although we DID expect them, just not so early. We never had a new roof before and didn't know what to expect. In no time at all, 8-10 men were on our house and garage roof, skittering here and there, climbing, flinging tools to one another, ladders everywhere, shingles flying, although a lot flew directly into 2 large dumpsters. And what a racket from inside the house - this will drive me bonkers! They were all moving around here and there, we never DID get an accurate count of how many guys there were! Holy smokes, did they ever work! And it wat HOT today -- poor things!

I was lucky to avoid some of the mayhem and go to work, then went directly for a haircut, only to learn from my hairdresser, who lives across the street, what the latest progress was on my house! Neighbors stopped, drove slowly by, two requested an estimate also. There has been a lot of hail damage so many need new roofs.
Here is just one pile of shingles.
and here is another pile.

By noon, all the shingles were off and they were putting on that black paper. These guys did not even stop for lunch.

The landfill fee for shingles is $31.00/ton. Just something I liearned today. I don't know how many tons = 3 layers of shingles from a house and garage.

It's starting to look pretty good!

... and shingles are going on the garage - we think the house is done already!


The job was completed by 7:00 pm. Lawn and gardens had been swept with a magnet to pick up nails, the walks had been swept and blown clean, the debris was picked up and the place looked good! I'm sure we'll be finding nails - don't know if that can be avoided but they did an excellent job. One minor issue is that in the process our auto fan on the roof was damaged in the process so that will need to be ordered. I don't have much of a flower garden but they avoided damaging my hostas just fine.

BTW, the sky looks stormy and we hear thunder - Whew - new roof just in time. Next we have some interior repairs - not sure when we'll start that but for now, one huge job DONE!

Tomorrow, I'm sewing!

12 comments:

  1. Whew, I know you are glad that is over. We had the roof replaced 3 years ago, and I remember the early mornings. Ours took about a week to complete because we extended our carport. But I was never so glad to see workers leave ;-) It sure is a noisy project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bad thing about needing those layers removed is the mess; the good thing is you'll never need to do that bit again! It looks great! It's nice to have that peace of mind. BTW, I suggest going to the local rental agency and renting a magnetic roller (probably not its proper name): it's a clever device, just a magnet on wheels, that will pull up all remaining nails from the yard. You roll it around and it lifts them right out of the ground. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to have a job like that done fast! We got a new roof a few years ago but we put on a metal roof. We still had the mess of the old shingles though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must feel good to have that done! Reminds me of my own roof that is in desperate need of replacing... well, maybe just one more year.
    Cheers,
    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now if we could start/finish our quilts that quickly! (I still tease my Dh that I need a houseboy... maybe two, then I could quilt all day!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this isn't the cue for the tornado to arrive in your neighborhood, like happened here within days after the roofers finished at our house two weeks ago. Fortunately the roof survived...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that job was done in a jiffy. Now you don't need to worry about the rain anymore. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic that it was all done in 12 hours! I can imagine the noise from all those nails being pounded at once. Glad you are all snug under the new roof, ready to sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a dreaded project and so good to have it DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were fortunate! All finished in 12 hours. When we had our roof replaced we had a different experience. The old roof came off one day. The next day dawned with heavy rain. Pretty soon it was raining inside the house while the roofer and two helpers tried to spread some protection. Fortunately, the rain soon stopped. The house dried up, and the new roof was installed. But not a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think 12 hours might be a miracle! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. The job was certainly finished quickly, considering the size of the task. Within 12 hours your roof was repaired. It reminds me of the TV show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and how they constructed houses with so little time. Well, now that it’s done, the task at hand is to make sure that there’s nothing left from the roofing project, including nails, debris, wood pieces, and other things that might cause accidents. Good luck with the roof!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.